Sulcata Growth Rate - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
OliveHaze
Sulcata Growth Rate

Does anyone know how fast sulcata's grow? I really want one and since tortoises live forever I'd like to get one while I'm still young. Right now I live in a small house with no basement and about 150 square feet of yard. I'm planning to move in about 5 years. But what I want to know is how long it will take to get to a considerable size. I really want one but not if I wont have enough space for it.

Also, to anyone who reads this: What is your favorite tortoise and why? If I can't have a Sulcata I'm still going to get a tortoise and want to know what people like about different species.
Olive

Old 08-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
MDC_Ophiuchus
It all really depends on how you keep them. If kept outdoors most of the time with exposure to the sun and with a good diet, they can grow relatively quickly. I know someone with a 10-yr old sulcata thats already 60 lbs.

I have a little juvenile since 4-5 months ago. He is kept mostly indoors in a wide pen with a mercury vapor bulb for UV and heat. I can already notice that he is ever-so-slightly larger! (Anyone who has herps can tell its sometimes difficult to notice growth when you see the little bugger every day). Its safe to say that they can sneak up on you as far as getting large. Be prepared, and don't procrastinate on getting outdoor accomodations ready.

I have not had much experience with red-footed tortoises, but I have heard that they are actually are hardier than sulcatas. Not to mention they don't get quite as large. I actually was planning on getting a red-foot, but this little sulcata kinda dropped in my lap, so to speak.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
bigalosu
I would say 10 years is a good estimate for a sulcata to get to a decent size as well, but it can take 20+ to get to full maturity. If you want one to get big and fast, it is probably better if you buy an established adult. I see them on Craigslist all the time and I'm sure there are some rescues around that have adults up for adoption.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
OliveHaze
I want one but my house is currently too small for an adult. So I was wondering how long I had before one would outgrow my house.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
MDC_Ophiuchus
Yeah, I mean...even at 5 years, you'll have a tortoise sized somewhere between a football and a cinder block. While not heavy, a tortoise that size needs some serious space to move around. You'll need something about the size of a full or queen-sized bed to keep it happy.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
OliveHaze
Yeah. I was planning to devote a whole room to him, but I wont have one. I'm thinking that I'll just compromise with myself and get a smaller tortoise. So the search for a smaller tortoise begins.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
born2ride#56
I bought a female at 4-5inchs & they told me she was 2 & she had lots of pyrimiding & runny nose. She is now about 14inch+ & super healthy! Ive had her 5-7yrs I wanna say & she lives outside yr round except realy cold days she gos in the garage. Shes super heavy & solid! Everytime I see her walk by or come out of her hide Im like wow shes getting huge! Id say about 2inch a yr with good lighting & lots of grasses but diff areas equals diff growth rates...

Old 09-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
goReptiles
I think diet and husbandry has a big role in growth, but at the same time genetics may also play a part. Plus, some animals just grow faster than others. Mine is about 4-5" and 13-15 months old. I just got her, but that's the estimated age from the breeder (as that's about when she was previously sold before being returned).

Old 10-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
Melinda
too many variables involved. I've got a 15 yr female that weighs in about 40-50 lbs. She grows very slowly. I adopted an 8yr old male about 2 yrs ago and he was about half her size. In those 2 yrs on the same food, he is now her size. So I believe even the difference in gender can affect growth.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Floof
As has already been said, there are a ton of variables here. At 5 years, a Sulcata can range anywhere from 10 lbs to 60, depending on how it was raised. A Sulcata raised in inappropriate conditions will, naturally, grow slowly. If cared for correctly, however, meaning fed an appropriate diet, kept warm, humid, and hydrated, with enough space and appropriate UVB, they can grow FAST. Maybe not so fast that you couldn't still house him in your current yard until the move, but fast enough that space may be a concern by the time you do move to a home with a more appropriate yard.

Another thing to consider is the winters in your area. It is plenty possible to keep a Sulcata in this environment, with enough dedication and large enough "indoor" accommodations (i.e. a converted basement or a large heated shed), but it is also very difficult. For this reason alone, unless you're prepared for the effort and expense that will go with preparing appropriate winter accommodations, a smaller tortoise may be the better idea.

As far as my personal favorite "smaller" tortoises, I'm a big fan of Russians, which stay very small (5-8" being average adult size). They have a great personality, very hardy, and very easy to accommodate indoors. Other Testudo species, i.e. Greeks and Hermann's tortoises, are also great options.

As someone else suggested, Redfoots are a really fun one. Very personable and interactive tortoises. They do get pretty big, 10-14" max size if I remember correctly, but still manageable and not so big that it's difficult to house them indoors for the winter.

I'm a big fan of Leopard tortoises. The Babcocki subspecies stays small enough that housing one indoors during the winter isn't too far out of the realm of possibility, with their usual max size being 18". The downfall of Babcocki leos is that they tend to be a rather shy tortoise, not possessing that same great personality as a Sulcata. The Pardalis subspecies, on the other hand, gets bigger, closer in size to a Sulcata, usually has that same great personality, and tends to be much more cold tolerant (not a hibernating species by a long shot, but not as prone to illness if it gets chilly during the winters).

FWIW, my favorite tortoise info resource is http://tortoiseforum.org. It's a forum, like this one, dedicated solely to tortoises. The people there are knowledgeable, friendly, and very helpful. Once you figure out which species you'd like to pursue, they'll be able to point you in the right direction as far as good care regiments and links to good care sheets/sites.

Wow, ended up writing a novel. Lol. :P Good luck with whatever you wind up doing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!