Need a bit of assistance - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
Ginger Ambrose
Question Need a bit of assistance

Help Needed
I am looking to purchase a red tailed boa. I really would appreciate some feed back. I have only owned one snake in my life (a red tailed boa) so...... Can some one tell me the diffrences in the temprement of ball pythons as opposed to the boas ? I would like to start this slowly and perhaps breed in a few years, but for now this would just be a personel pet.
I am planning to begin with one snake or up to three, but I am just not really sure, what would be best to start with.
I AM SERIOUS. NOT A KID JOKING AROUND.
Any feed back will be greatly appereciated.

Thank You..

Ginger Ambrose
"You are never to old to learn"

Old 04-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
kiote9
From my personal experience I would suggest to go with a boa.

I have several boas and several ball pythons. I have had trouble all winter with my balls feeding and one of them had a slight respiratory infection early in the winter and now has another. My boas have only rejected food during shed and have been fairly trouble free.

All of my snakes are once again eating correctly with the exception of the WC ball python "rescue" that is anorexic. WHATEVER you decide to do PLEASE buy captive bred. Do intense research and ask a lot of questions on forums if you can't find the answers you need.

As far as temperment I'd say my balls are shy and less active than my boas. My favorite boa, Bob, will sit with me for hours. I sometimes even nap with him. When I first get him out of his cage he is active for about 15 minutes then he calms down and sits in one spot. My balls generally slither under my laptop immediately or hide out in my shirt. I have only been bit during feedings when I was careless.....both by balls and boas.

If you want a very easy snake to care for go with colubrids. They eat like nobodies business and are very active and quite docile. I have a 49" Okeetee corn that never refuses a meal and is tame enough to take to the schools to visit classrooms. They have less of a heat and humidity requirement than the boids, too.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
DAND
Most (99.5%) of ball pythons don't have a temperment. You bug them, they ball up.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:35 AM   #4
Ginger Ambrose
May have found my first baby

I think I may have found my first BABY, a boa I will let ya'll know if it pans out. I am excited.
I would never even consider anything but captive bred. WC is somewhat cruel IMO. Not to mention too much of a gamble. If I choose to do this I choose to do it right.

Thanks for your input so far, please if anyone else has ideas or opinions please share.

Thanks, Ginger Ambrose

/You are never too old to learn/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!