Profanity - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Focal
Profanity

Hi,

I am not questioning this rule, nor the way it is enforced, but was curious as to why it is an infraction when certain words can be censored by the site?

For example, I've typed out f-er on other forums and it will translate it out to ****er or ******, which I'm assuming is part of the forums filter.

It just seems like it might set someone up for failure because it's allowed on one part of the site and not the rest, and if someone isn't paying attention, it can slip. Of course, maybe that's the reason it isn't censored, so Hell can be uncensored or for legal reasons in the BOI? Does censorship go for the whole site when selected?

Just curious and bored.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
WebSlave
Yes, the censorship admin option is a global setting. So it would affect the HELL forum, which would pretty much negate the attraction to some folks.

Also, there is an infraction for profanity for those who cannot control their appropriate word usage in a conversation on a publicly viewable forum. Some people will self censor themselves by using asterisks to replace some or all of a profane word in a post. Should those people be reprimanded along with those people who actually DID use a profane word and the system automatically censored it? We would not be able to tell the difference.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
hhmoore
The other problem with profanity filters is that the administrator would have to set what would be disallowed....and people would simply try to find ways to beat the system. Then, they would argue that the resultant infraction is unfair, because the filter didn't take out the word.

Besides, there IS a profanity filter in chat...and it is pretty easy to make the words show up uncensored. Heck, even I know how to do it.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Southern Wolf
Curosity about why you can hear S**t on regular TV but here it gets you an infraction? You can even hear worse than that over the radio in your car

Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeTop Reptiles View Post
Curosity about why you can hear S**t on regular TV but here it gets you an infraction? You can even hear worse than that over the radio in your car
Because that is how I want it here on this site.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeTop Reptiles View Post
Because this is a private website and the owner can make whatever censorship rules he wants... freedom of speech does not exist in this context.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
E.Shell
I welcome anti-profanity rules.

It is refreshing to get away from the increasingly common public usage (which actually shows a lack of respect for the listeners, as if we all employ such a limited and crude vocabulary), and the continuous exploitation of the shock value by the various media. It seems writers take pains to write in profanity anywhere it will slide through, and it's getting worse. I really don't want my kids hearing it, nor am I impressed myself by the gratuitous use of profanity in polite company and public media. You can normally hear the juvenile amusement the DJs experience in their voices when they "push the envelope" and "get away with" saying increasingly vulgar things.

See an adult rated movie and hear profanity used in context? Great. Hear it on public airwaves in the presence of your kids, to whom you're trying to instill decent values, only "because they can"...not so cool.

While I freely admit many things I might say privately should not be heard by my mother, word usage of this sort is simply not appropriate for civilized discussion among mixed company and minors, regardless of how permissible it is made to seem in many contexts, such as trash media.

Again, I don't want to seem "above it all", but it is very simply inappropriate language in most contexts and this is one of them.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Focal
Devils advocate here... What defines profanity? My mom would have whooped the hell out of me for saying "hell." Just implying the word was bad enough. I would have been whooped up for saying "fugly" or "bullish." So if the intent is to be profane, why is that no different?

Honestly, I don't really care. Just thinking.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Because that is how I want it here on this site.
Well fecal matter

Old 01-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
I welcome anti-profanity rules.

It is refreshing to get away from the increasingly common public usage (which actually shows a lack of respect for the listeners, as if we all employ such a limited and crude vocabulary), and the continuous exploitation of the shock value by the various media. It seems writers take pains to write in profanity anywhere it will slide through, and it's getting worse. I really don't want my kids hearing it, nor am I impressed myself by the gratuitous use of profanity in polite company and public media. You can normally hear the juvenile amusement the DJs experience in their voices when they "push the envelope" and "get away with" saying increasingly vulgar things.

See an adult rated movie and hear profanity used in context? Great. Hear it on public airwaves in the presence of your kids, to whom you're trying to instill decent values, only "because they can"...not so cool.

While I freely admit many things I might say privately should not be heard by my mother, word usage of this sort is simply not appropriate for civilized discussion among mixed company and minors, regardless of how permissible it is made to seem in many contexts, such as trash media.

Again, I don't want to seem "above it all", but it is very simply inappropriate language in most contexts and this is one of them.
The world needs more of your ilk.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!