Disappearing act - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
krisstandfield
Disappearing act

Hey everyone, just wanted to make a new post and see some of your story's and ideas. Has one or more of your snakes every gotten out and you couldn't find it. Its happen to me lol. So i'm wondering what snakes of your have done that disappearing act? What was the snake? Did you ever get it back? And what did you do to find him? Let me hear your ideas of what you did and that way new people can get some ideas if they ever lose a snake.

Just the other day my 2010, 140 gram bee bp got out, I was freaking lol. How am I gonna find such a small snake. I looked and looked and looked, nothing. Then I went with putting flower along the walls right before I went to bed that way if he moves around the house at night I can see where he is heading. luckily last night around 4 in the morning I was laying in bed and herd a pop can get tipped over, I jumped out of bed and grabbed a flash light, and looked under my bed, There he was. Thank god.

Lets hear your stories.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
R. Eventide
I've had several escapes, but only once did the snake turn up far from where he escaped.

Tungsten, my main escape artist, once got out while my friends were watching my critters. They said they came and found all my spices in the kitchen knocked off the shelves: some in the sink, some on the floor, some on the counter. Only later did they realize Tungsten had escaped. They found him curled up, asleep, under a pile of grocery bags in the kitchen.

The others usually get out, find someplace dark and warm nearby, and go back to sleep. I've found 'em crawling away from their tubs, in my dresser drawers, between other snake tubs, behind my desk, and trolling the hallway.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Pythonbreeder99
Ive had two escapes, one from a ball python and one from a corn. I had a baby albino corn years agos and he got out to the aquarium he was kept in never to be seen again. the second escape from the ball got out of his 10 gallon aquarium a week after I got him, I was away at my dads house and my mom noticed he was gone so she paniced and bought a new one after hours of searching, I was young and didnt realize it was a different snake... I noticed a tick on my beloved "skipper" and went up to my mom and asked her why skipper had a tick??? She made up some excuse then the next day while I was at school she brought fake skipper back to petco and got a new one. Weeks later my cat was anxiously scratching at my dresser and low and behold my mom moved the dresser and there lay my dehydrated skipper
Those are my stories.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
krisstandfield
Yeah I have one snake that gets out all the time. His name is leo and he is my male het pied. One time he got out during last summer and we lost him for a few days, somehow he got to a window and pushed it open and got stuck between the window and the screen. he was loving the nice warm spot but gave me a heart attack lol.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Matt2979
<Knock on wood> I've done good about preventing escapees for some time now, but when they do occasionally get out, they almost never leave my snake room. Even before it was ever built, it was pretty uncommon to find one more than a few feet from where it actually escaped.

Years ago, I did have a boa that escaped and was gone for about 2 weeks. At the time, I lived in an apartment and feared the worst. Not only did I believe he had left my apartment, but was scared he had gotten into someone else's and would scare them to death (was about a 5 foot male).

I got up in the middle of the night to go to the kitchen. I NEVER turned on the light any other time that I got up in the middle of the night, but that night, for whatever reason, I did. There he was stretched out, half in and half out of my closet, just chillin'! I was SO happy to find him, but made sure that his top was locked from then on out!! (I also used aquariums back then.)

Glad you found your little guy with no problem!

Old 01-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
runyon_0509
I had my lemon pastel escape when I first got him. He couldnt have been more than 80 or 90 grams. I thought "warm spots" so I pulled out the fridge, not there. Behind the desk, not there. About an hour later, moved some stuff from in front of the bookcase and found him in between a couple books. He had me worried. I was glad he chose the Stephen King section though.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
snakesRkewl
In late 09 one of my 2 week old yellow belly males got out and found his way outside.
I found him 9 days after escaping outside on the opposite side of the house from where he was caged

*I now keep my critters in a locked bedroom *

Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
rcpreis3
When u I first got my het clown pair I forgot to put the lid back on their tank. (this was just before I built my rack.) The male escapes and went dont the heat pad cords to the floor poops by the plug and after about an hour searching no snake, so we lift up the dryer as the last place to check and still nuthin. I walk out about 45 mins later and hes streched out on the floor right next to the dryer. Until I found him I was freaking out!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
Focal
I had a 10' burmese and I use to let it out and have free range of my apartment for an hour or so at a time. A week prior my roommate purchased a black leather couch and it was the type that had three recliners built into the sofa. Well, I never leave my snakes unsupervised, but had to run to the head for maybe 2 minutes and I come back and she's GONE! I tore the whole house up and then realized I need to check this new couch out a little bit more. After flipping it upside down, I quickly noticed the snake bound up and intertwined in two of the recliner assemblies but there was no way to unwind her from the bottom soooooo, I had to grab a box cutter and removed her in pieces... Not really, I cut the couch up. Even after paying for it (reduction of rent), it ended our friendship.

Second time, it was maybe a 25-30 gram Kenyan Sand Boa. These things can wiggle out of anything at this size. I know this now. I pretty much gave up on it thinking I would never find a snake half the size of a pencil. I searched for hours and then I realized I had to warn my sister who was renting a room from that this snake was out. She was deathly afraid of snakes. She comes home from work and I break the news. As soon as she walks in her room and kicks a shoe out of the way, I hear a scream and there he was sitting on the floor of the room I searched maybe 10 times.

Third time was my yearling BRB. I must've searched the snake room a hundred times. I really freaked out, screw a KSB, the BRB was my BABY! Then out of no where, for reasons unknown, I stuck my hand under my canister filter for my aquarium that was normally flush to the ground and felt it sitting up a notch. A yearling BRB was able to lift this 22"x10"x10" canister up that was filled with water, charcoal, rocks, and other filter material. It had to of weighed 20lbs and he wiggled himself underneath it to soak up some of the warmth from the water being cycled.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Shadera
I've thankfully never had an escape. I'm a stickler for making sure tubs are seated into the racks as far back as they should be, and have a bar installed in the front of each rack to keep them from sliding themselves out should I ever end up with one that has that talent.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!