For Sale 2022 T. o. ornata - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Turtles/Tortoises

Notices

Old 10-29-2022, 11:48 PM   #1
Robinz
2022 T. o. ornata

I have two cbb T. o. ornata babies produced in this June for 225$ of each or 400$ taking both. Sex not guarenteed, shipping fee depends on states and regions. If you're in Arizona I'll prefer a pick up near Tucson, 85710. Text 517-488-2645, E-mail yinpengz@arizona.edu
Attached Images

Contact User Check User
Old 10-30-2022, 09:48 AM   #2
Socratic Monologue
Looks like T. ornata is protected in AZ, and sales of any AZ native species are pretty much illegal regardless of special protections.

https://www.azherpetology.com/ornate...rapene-ornata/

Old 10-30-2022, 01:36 PM   #3
nandusnandus
For what it is worth, I have been party to communications with AZ game and fish who clarified that despite the wording of the statute which simply states T. ornata, the specific intent is to include only T. ornata luteola under this regulation, not T. ornata ornata. In fact, T. ornata ornata are openly sold at both reptile shops and reptile shows throughout the Phoenix area.

Old 10-30-2022, 02:00 PM   #4
Socratic Monologue
I'm assuming that communication was not in print, but rather was verbal. AZGFD seems willing to tell a different story over email than on the phone, based on a recent interaction I had with them. Not sure what's up with that, exactly. Other states' fish and wildlife departments I've contacted on similar issues interpret laws as they're written, even in situations where another interpretation might make more sense.

The latest taxonomic revision removes the subspecies, FYI.

Good info, though, Lynn. Thanks. Good that potential buyers have all the relevant facts.

Old 10-30-2022, 04:56 PM   #5
nandusnandus
Surprisingly, the information was provided via email. I keep meaning to get my hands on that email so that I can comfortably let a couple of my T. o. o. go. Another keeper in Phx had a nice group of T. o. o. adults that he wanted to sell. Prior to the sale, he approached AZGFD regarding this statute and was responded-to via email.

Since my post from earlier today, I visited one of the area's largest reptile shops. Sure enough, they had hatchling T. o. o. for sale. Of course, the reality of a retail shop selling them does not, in and of itself, make it legal. I just mention it for frame of reference. It would seem to be a gray area.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:36 PM   #6
Robinz
Thanks for the info Lynn, yes that regulation was my first concern when I moved to AZ and saw the regulation did not define each subspecies. Some major shops near my area also have T. o. ornata juveniles so that reduced my concern, but totally agree the indistinguishable taxonomy in that regulation would becomes gray area.
  Contact User Check User
Old 11-02-2022, 12:32 PM   #7
Robinz
Just for following up this update, AZGFD shortly replied me as this ",the short answer is yes, you can import, possess, buy, propagate and sell the non native T. Ornata.", hope that would help
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!