Baytril vs Gentamycin - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Snake-Queen
Question Baytril vs Gentamycin

I have 2 ETBs that have got RIs. I took them to the vet here (who deals with exotics & furred pets). She prescribed gentamycin for them at weight specific doses, but it doesn't seem to be working.
I have increased their temps and I am going to sterilize everything tomorrow. Both are still mucus-y (I know not a word) though not as bad as they were at first. They have had 5 injections since the vet visit. (1 every 3 days)

I am wondering, if I should either take them back to the vet or get some baytril for them.

Can you get baytril without a prescription?

Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
hhmoore
No, you cannot legally get Baytril without a prescription.

As for the gentamycin, was a culture and sensitivity done? I'm not saying that genta isn't a good drug....but it has been a long time since it would have been considered a drug of choice for the most likely bacteria. In fact, there are numerous strains that are resistant to gentamycin.
Has there been any change in the symptoms?

Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
Snake-Queen
It worked great on the dragons, but for the Emeralds, not so much. They are less drooly, but the male is still holding his mouth open.

I think that if the snakes have not improved by Thursday, I am taking them to my reptile vet (only works Thurs. & Fri.). I tend to panic when I notice that my "babies" are not well & took him on a Monday to the local vet, who has exotic training, just not sure she has kept up with the changes in the practice.

And no cultures were done.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
hhmoore
The thing with the cultures is that treatment would typically be initiated before the results are back anyway...so the main benefit is that you a) know sooner if the chosen antibiotic won't work, and b) can guide the resultant change in therapy accordingly.
Have you made any husbandry modifications to go along with treatment?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
Snake-Queen
Yes, as stated, raised their temps by 4 degrees & stopped misting them.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
hhmoore
I'm not sure where you stated that, but it wasn't in this thread (here, you just said you raised the temps).
With ETBs, the process is a bit trickier than with many other species - I'm not a big fan of generic advice...and there are numerous variables to consider. Since I make a concerted effort not to contradict a veterinarian, or to confuse the situation by giving different suggestions, I should probably bow out of this now.
I'll just say that I agree with your inclination toward a second vet visit, and wish you the best of luck with them.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Tim Cole
Running cultures is the way to go to determine the proper drug as Harold has said.

Most reptile vets now prescribe Fortaz instead of Baytril.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!