Heat lamp cages and ceramic base... Can't seem to find em. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:38 PM   #1
Randall Turner
Heat lamp cages and ceramic base... Can't seem to find em.

I am thinking about installing some ceramic light bases and heat cages in the enclosures (Help take the edge off real cold nights sort of thing). But they don't seem to be all that commonly available anymore. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Any suggestions where to find them? I have one installed in one enclosure but it was narrow and required me to hunt down a small base that was extortion level price. If I have to I suppose I can go that route again. But would prefer to stick to the less expensive standard stuff.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:56 PM   #2
som16724
Home depot, or any electrical supplier should have standard base ceramic light fixtures for around 2bucks. A ceramic heater of whatever wattage can be screwed directly in. I use them in several of my cages.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:06 PM   #3
bcr229
What kind of enclosures? A friend runs two different heat pads over the winter, one at the typical high temp (90-92*F), and another larger one about 82-83*F that covers a good bit of the enclosure floor. He only turns on the big one over the winter so the whole floor gets warm, and the ambient temp does bump up a few degrees. His house temp is 65*F, I freeze when I visit!

Old 09-17-2020, 11:17 PM   #4
Socratic Monologue
RHPs are the way to go for most applications, IMO.

Otherwise, these might be what you're looking for:

https://www.thebiodude.com/collectio...p-lamp-fixture

https://www.oogalights.com/8-5-Inch-...ire-Guard.aspx

Old 09-18-2020, 12:57 AM   #5
Randall Turner
Quote:
Originally Posted by som16724 View Post
Home depot, or any electrical supplier should have standard base ceramic light fixtures for around 2bucks. A ceramic heater of whatever wattage can be screwed directly in. I use them in several of my cages.
I have a handful of standard bases, the problem I ran into was the particular cage I picked up was about 1/2" too narrow to fit over the standard bases, and unfortunately that particular cage is also the only one I've found at a nice price point, readily available and good quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
What kind of enclosures? A friend runs two different heat pads over the winter, one at the typical high temp (90-92*F), and another larger one about 82-83*F that covers a good bit of the enclosure floor. He only turns on the big one over the winter so the whole floor gets warm, and the ambient temp does bump up a few degrees. His house temp is 65*F, I freeze when I visit!
They are AP T8s, and Vision 400s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
RHPs are the way to go for most applications, IMO.
RHP are my preferred method of heating. I use them in all of my enclosures (Both Reptile Basics and Pro Products Panels.)

Problem I run into is I'd prefer to be able to manage those particularly cold points without relying on an oil filled heater in the room, or using heat tape, or a secondary heat panel.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!