Central American Boa? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
thejoie
Central American Boa?

I'm looking the species because I saw one at a pet store and fell in love. They're beautiful. But I need to know more specifics.. I haven't been able to find good caresheets online, so I'm going to the source. Anyone have one? What can you tell me about them?

Old 08-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Junkyard
Specifics huh? Do you like being bit? They are beautiful animals with an attitude. A good place to go for locality information is http://www.boa-constrictors.com/com/com.html Most of these Central Boas you see in stores are from Mexico and Nicaragua. Patience is needed when working with them, as babies they will settle down fairly well, but be careful about trusting them. I have had two Nicaraguans before and they were quite the handful, I currently own one now. I have seen them as gentle as ever, but I have seen them as aggressive as ever too. They are smaller boas being as they are BCIs and stay within the 6-7 foot range. So if you are up to the challenge, go for it!

Old 08-25-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
Jake The Snake
Like said they tend to be nippy but most calm down so I've heard. I would start with a Hogg island boa if you are convinced you want a boa. They are great and some localities rarley get to even 4' while some locailies may reach 12'!!! Although a huge one at 12' isn't likely, its possible so research somemore to make sure either A) You don't get one of these large locality boas like Suriana Or Guyana boas or B) Research and be prepared for a potential Giant. Thats all the advice I can give. The rest is up to you.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
SPJ
If you want a CA boa for the smaller size but also want the calm disposition that colombians have, go with a Bluefields locality boa.
They are great eaters, stay small, and have great temperaments.
Just expect to pay about 4-5 times what a common nic would run in price.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
SPJ
Here's a pair of Bluefields.
At almost 18 months of age, they are still smaller than most baby colombian boas.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #6
thejoie
they are beautiful!
I've also been looking into the Common Boa...
How would you compare the two if you have any experience.
Sorry for all the question I just want to gather first hand experience. Cause you can read all you want but talking to people who've been there is always better!
I have a corn snake now, two beardies, and a water dragon

Old 08-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
SPJ
As far as temperament goes, they are about the same. Both types are easily handled and both eat about the same way. Colombians will take f/t off the floor for me and the male Bluefields will as well. The female needs to have it offered with tongs.

These are more inquisitive about what is going on around them and move a bit faster than most Colombians when being handled.

It all depends what you are looking for.

This

Or this

Old 08-26-2006, 01:11 AM   #8
thejoie
man, I'm really liking those bluefields... where on earth would I find them?

Old 08-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
floridaboy85
I beleive ed clark has a pair of Blue Feilds on that other classifieds site .LOL Perhaps Ron Tremper still has some available. They are awesome little boas though.

What is everyone with Central American experience opinions about temperment between cbb and WC or farmed? What i am saying is in your experiance do the cbb NICS(for example) seam to be calmer and less nipy than the typical farmed NICS??

I have 4 Nics now and for the most part they are pretty calm. Only one of them is cbb but I have only had him for a few days so i have only seen his satanic side. My two farmed males are the calmest docile NICs I have come across.There must be something wrong with them.LOL My female is fine till you look eye to eye then she hates you.

Andrew Elholm

Old 08-26-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
Junkyard
As far as temperament between CBB, WC, or Farmed; they are all about the same. Unless the breeder/previous owner handled them a lot before you got one. Columbian's are far more docile, generally speaking, then Centrals ad calm down much quicker.

Columbian's are also larger them Centrals, you are looking at an average 9 foot female Columbian. I currently have two large ones, 8.5 feet and 9 feet long., both are as calm as can be and are a great spectacle at presentations. They do require larger cage space and more food because of their size. I have never dealt with Bluefields and they are beautiful boas, so it is up to you how much you want to spend on your first one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!