Crested Gecko Diet Problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
LaxGekko25
Question Crested Gecko Diet Problem

Hey guys, I would like some help with my baby crested gecko. This problem has been reoccuring since I've gotten him (July tis year). His food dries out within a day of me putting it in there, and I was worried that he wasn't eating. Then thank goodness I started finding droppings all over his terrarium. I've moved him from a 20 galon tank to a small Critter Keeper thinking that the small amount of food compared to the high amount of air circulation was drying the food. I mist his tank every night and prepare the food (what I think is correctly) but his food is still drying out. Again, he leaves droppings so I know he is eating it, but I'm worried that he doesn't get enough to eat before it dries up. I keep him at about 70 degrees Fahrenheit with a steady humidty of 60% during the day. So bascially I'm asking if you guys have any tips for keeping the CGD from drying out. If it helps, I use the Repashy SuperFood CGD.
Thanks,
Brian

Old 10-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
radera5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxGekko25 View Post
Hey guys, I would like some help with my baby crested gecko. This problem has been reoccuring since I've gotten him (July tis year). His food dries out within a day of me putting it in there, and I was worried that he wasn't eating. Then thank goodness I started finding droppings all over his terrarium. I've moved him from a 20 galon tank to a small Critter Keeper thinking that the small amount of food compared to the high amount of air circulation was drying the food. I mist his tank every night and prepare the food (what I think is correctly) but his food is still drying out. Again, he leaves droppings so I know he is eating it, but I'm worried that he doesn't get enough to eat before it dries up. I keep him at about 70 degrees Fahrenheit with a steady humidty of 60% during the day. So bascially I'm asking if you guys have any tips for keeping the CGD from drying out. If it helps, I use the Repashy SuperFood CGD.
Thanks,
Brian
Don't worry about it, at all. You should be feeding him/her about a dime sized puddle. Literally. I would mix it a bit thinner, using a little more water.
CGD dries out within a day or two. As long as he is eating some, he is fine. He will continue to lick if he is hungry. They do not eat much at all. Some have great appetites where you can tell they are eating it but many babies will not make a very visible mark.

Again, keep misting and feed every other day. The little guy/girl will be just fine. Also like I said, just make it thinner. Add more water so it is a little runny. NOT TOO MUCH though.

Good luck, I am sure everything will work out. Cresties are known to be about the easiest geckos to care for

Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
LaxGekko25
Thanks! So there is nothing to be worried about?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
radera5
Nope, not at all. You will begin to know that they eat, sometimes you just can't tell.
How much do you give per feeding?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
LaxGekko25
I give the recommende amount, the size of his head

Old 10-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
radera5
Okay well that is about right anyway. The biggest thing is seeing how much you are throwing away every other day.
If you are only just feeding the size of his head you should be fine.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Beardiefreak26
my crested is 3 and a half inches long and is a beast when it comes to food when i look at the food every morning it has like craters in it from where it has eaten lol

Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
Ed Clark
Supplement with appropriate size crickets around once a week,baby cresties really start eating good after they are offered crickets and CGD. they will eat the dry CGD also.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 AM   #9
lauraleellbp
I'd also be increasing your humidity at night, up to 80-90%. Then let it dry down to 40-50% during the day. This cycle is extremely important. Your gecko may start having shed issues without a proper cycle, especially a young one.

I often mix in a little water back into CGD on the 2nd day.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
Gargoyle Queen
In the winter months, I find it especially hard to keep my humidity levels where I want them with the furnace on.... So I have a humidifier with adjustible levels that I turn on at night and turn off in the morning.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
crested gecko, food