corn genetics - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
c3lic@
Red face corn genetics

Ok, so I am new to breeding, and my remembrance of high school biology is slim to none, but i was wondering if anyone knew or could direct to somewhere I could read about genetics of cornsnake morphs, I currently have a male creamsicle, and a female hypomelanistic anyone have any clue on what they would theoretically produce? I remember the pundit square theory but Im just not sure of whether they are recessive or dominant or what traits, wo any info would be helpful. And one off topic question I read in someones classified something aout they are adimantly against creamsicle corns, is there a bad gene that comes along with them or could it possibly have been a personal preference issue?? thanks in adavance.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3lic@
Ok, so I am new to breeding, and my remembrance of high school biology is slim to none, but i was wondering if anyone knew or could direct to somewhere I could read about genetics of cornsnake morphs, I currently have a male creamsicle, and a female hypomelanistic anyone have any clue on what they would theoretically produce? I remember the pundit square theory but Im just not sure of whether they are recessive or dominant or what traits, wo any info would be helpful. And one off topic question I read in someones classified something aout they are adimantly against creamsicle corns, is there a bad gene that comes along with them or could it possibly have been a personal preference issue?? thanks in adavance.
You might find the following links useful:
2005 Cornsnake Morph Guide: http://cornguide.com
Genetics Tutorial at Serpwidgets.com: http://serpwidgets.com/Genetics/genetics.html
Morph gallery at Serpwidgets.com http://serpwidgets.com/Morphs/morphs.html

Creamsicles are a result of crossing Emoryi's ratsnake with cornsnake, so they are considered hybrids or intergrades. There are some people who do not like hybrids/intergrades, and some of them are extremely vocal (and obnoxious) about it. It is always important to label your offspring accurately when selling them.

Amelanism and Hypomelanism are two separate recessive mutants.

Creamsicle X hypo corn would produce "rootbeer" (the name for normal offspring of corn X emoryi) and they would be het for amelanism and hypomelanism. In the second generation, the amels would be considered Creamsicles, and the hypos would be considered Cinnamons.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
DAND
Serp is the one to answer the questions. He wrote the book on it, literally.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
M.Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets

Creamsicles are a result of crossing Emoryi's ratsnake with cornsnake, so they are considered hybrids or intergrades.
Not to complicate things but I think it would be best to stay away from the term "intergrade" when referring to creamsicles or rootbeers.

An intergrade is an intermediate form of two subspecies through a series of NATURAL and gradual merges along their borders.
The captive breeding of two subspecies is simply a subspecific cross.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!