What size rats do you feed your adult female balls? POLL - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: What size rats do you feed your adult female balls(approximate weight)
Small(40-70 grams) 24 41.38%
Medium(71-100 grams) 12 20.69%
Large(100-150 grams) 15 25.86%
Larger(150 grams+) 7 12.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #91
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Owens
You don't? What would you call this?
Sounds pretty absolute to me...

Except you said on the other forum that it was "amazing" how "wrong" Jake was.

Now you're contradicting yourself...

It's fine to be opinionated, but when you're slamming somone else (for a valid opinion) because their way of doing things differs from your own...well, it's kind of ridiculous really. Especially when you're not all that experienced yourself.

Case in point.
Owens, I couldn't give less of a crap what you think. I think I've made that pretty clear in the past. I'll call you if I have a little cough and need some advice. Or are you a doctor by diploma only?

Old 10-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #92
Dr Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
Owens, I couldn't give less of a crap what you think. I think I've made that pretty clear in the past.
Yeah, I know. You hate it when I point out that you don't have the experience to go around acting like a know-it-all. Perhaps you should stop doing it. LOL!

Quote:
Or are you a doctor by diploma only?
No, Jamie. I take care of patients all day every day at a prestigious academic medical center.

What do you do? (Other than pretend to be something that you're not?)

Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #93
SPJ
So, this girl that is in a tub measuring 33 inches long by 17 inches wide (which is pulled out all the way) should not be getting a 150 gram feeder?
I could never feed her one 40 gram feeder (unless it was 3 or 4 and I try to avoid multiples at a meal as much as possible). One feeder weekly weighing 150 grams is perfect for her.

It all boils down to feeding that works for your snakes. There is no ONE way.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #94
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
Owens, I couldn't give less of a crap what you think. I think I've made that pretty clear in the past. I'll call you if I have a little cough and need some advice. Or are you a doctor by diploma only?

Its pretty amusing that you seemingly have absolutely no care in the world about how you compose yourself online.

Does it have to get so petty? Seriously....

Old 10-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #95
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
I just noticed that what I call mediums are what the poll lists as larges.
My point exactly! Some of us could be feeding the same dang sizes, and just calling them different things....and arguing over it for no reason.

I see the quotes from the breeders, saying "I feed mediums" or "I feed larges".....by by whose standards are we measuring size?

I also think that some folks have a different definition of "maintenance feeding" than others. My understanding of such is feeding the proper amount to keep them at a steady, healthy level without growing too exceptionally quickly, but others seem to think that it means just feeding them enough to sustain. I think simple interpretation is a big factor in this whole discussion.

Though I honestly can say that I don't see a need to be feeding XXL rats (by RodentPro standards) or rabbits to BP, I think a lot of this pointless bickering about it is just that.....pointless. As long as the animal's health isn't suffering, why argue?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #96
Jake The Snake
Either way, a medium or large will be over that 50 gram mark.

I tried to say the same thing Cathy, do what works best for your animal and I was "wrong" so I wanted to get oppinions from real people over here.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #97
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
My point exactly! Some of us could be feeding the same dang sizes, and just calling them different things....and arguing over it for no reason.

I wanted to comment on this earlier and also say that i agree 100% with your thoughts on that. and think its also a very very good point to be making.
i dont weigh rats/mice when i feed, so i cannot say exactly what i am feeding, i am mostly just going off of how i feel about them when i look at the animal and their relation to the animal they are being fed to. and just call them as such from my own point of view.

If there was an actual standard to go by though, that would be very helpful! The Different weights and sizes from different producers is reminding me very much like the computer industries issues with figuring out a standard and sticking with it! Blu Ray Vs. HD if anyone follows such things of course, i wont let the geek take over this post anymore.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #98
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
i dont weigh rats/mice when i feed, so i cannot say exactly what i am feeding, i am mostly just going off of how i feel about them when i look at the animal and their relation to the animal they are being fed to. and just call them as such from my own point of view.
Same here.....that's why I actually went out and weighed some this morning. I just eyeball the rats as I pick them out of the tubs, and choose what looks to be the proper size. I had no idea what weights they actually were.

RodentPro and Big Cheese have fairly similar weight standards for theirs, I usually tend to approximate them to their standards. I guess those are the only companies I've ever used for frozen feeders.

I will say though, if I'm short on a certain size, I do tend to always err on the side of caution and go a bit smaller than usual as opposed to going larger.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #99
Dr Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I will say though, if I'm short on a certain size, I do tend to always err on the side of caution and go a bit smaller than usual as opposed to going larger.
Good call.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 PM   #100
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Owens
Yeah, I know. You hate it when I point out that you don't have the experience to go around acting like a know-it-all. Perhaps you should stop doing it. LOL!

No, Jamie. I take care of patients all day every day at a prestigious academic medical center.

What do you do? (Other than pretend to be something that you're not?)
First off, I never pretended to be anything I am not. I never claimed to be a big breeder. I am a small hobbyist breeder with quite a bit of knowledge gained through my own personal experience and through working with and learning from good friends in the business.

Not that it matters, but I own an IT consulting business. But just as my Ball Python experience isn't sufficient in your eyes, I don't expect that will be either. But as I said, I couldn't care less what you think.

Best of luck in life!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!