Your experience with RI's relapsing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
oskyle1567
Your experience with RI's relapsing

I am hopefully getting over 3 cases of RI. They all have been to the vent and have been prescribed Ceftazidime. My vet said they will always be more susceptible to RI's even when there completely healed. My question to you is out of how many snakes you have treated with an RI relapse months maybe years down the road and how often do they? Also wondering if those snakes were immune to the previous medication or dosage.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
ClarkT
Bump the question... Don't have any idea on this

Old 06-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
oskyle1567
Ill post some info if i get any from other forums also.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
SERPENTS DEN
Well I have never had a Ball Python with a respiratory infection but back in the late 80s when I was breeding Burmese Pythons I had some that developed respiratory infections which was chronic and no matter how much treatment they were given the RIs always come back.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
oskyle1567
Man thats too bad..

Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
hhmoore
There are a number of variables that come into play with this:
- Was the antibiotic, dosage, and duration appropriate to the pathogen?
- Were there still symptoms at the end of treatment?
- What was the initial problem that led to the RI?
- Was that resolved?
- How long did symptoms continue before appropriate treatment?

IMO, it is quite likely that (in many cases) it is a matter of never correcting the original problems, OR that structural issues result in symptoms similar to RI. Of course, in the latter situation, those symptoms can be part of a problem that actually leads to RI....but snakes CAN show those symptoms without actually having an infection.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
SERPENTS DEN
- Was the antibiotic, dosage, and duration appropriate to the pathogen? Yes
- Were there still symptoms at the end of treatment? No
- What was the initial problem that led to the RI? Cycling them for breeding.
- Was that resolved? Yes
- How long did symptoms continue before appropriate treatment? About a week or so.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
The Python Lab
I've only had 2 snakes with R.I. A pair of het lav albinos and it was this year. After many vet visits, about $800.00, and a month of daily injections and nebulizer treatments 3 times a day I can say they are 100% cured and back on feed. But I will say this, ever since this occurance I'm R.I. paranoid and freak out any time I hear one of my snakes make an odd sound.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!