2 headed ball what to do? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
nickyp0
2 headed ball what to do?

o.k. i have a question all of the cinnamon clutch is out exp this guy and has not poked out at all so i fig it was dead and i cut open the egg and took it out. just to find this and its still alive!!!! what do i do now? both heads are moving

Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
ReptileGeek181
Wow. I wouldn't know what to do if I were in your position. Are both heads active and tongue flicking? Did you examine to see if anything else was out of the ordinary besides the obvious 2 heads?

Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Helenthereef
You're likely to find this sparks an ethical debate - some feel it's an exciting curiosity and should be kept. There are cases where these have thrived.

Others feel it is not kind to keep an animal in this condition and would cull (euthanise) it. I'm one of the last kind, and would kill this in a humane manner, but it's a really personal choice.

A question is whether it is severely kinked or not - it's hard to see from the photo. If it is, it probably couldn't eat successfully anyway.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
JordanAng420
Oh my....well, I don't breed balls. But if this was a leopard gecko I would cull it.

I guess you could also watch it and see how it does. But I wouldn't hold out too much hope for it.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
nickyp0
both heads move when you touch them other than that no tongue flicking and it is so badly kinked it looks like a snail

Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
RobNJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyp0 View Post
both heads move when you touch them other than that no tongue flicking and it is so badly kinked it looks like a snail
If it's that badly kinked, 2 heads or not, probably in the best interest of the animal if you would put it down.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
ReptileGeek181
Well I guess the best thing to do it to humanely put the snake out of it's misery.

*Side Note* There was some guy who wanted to purchase a 2 headed snake alive or dead, he posted wanted ads in the classifieds.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post
If it's that badly kinked, 2 heads or not, probably in the best interest of the animal if you would put it down.

Severe kinks would stop it eating and moving, and I would cull it. A hard call, especially when you've worked hard on the clutch, but consider quality of life for the animal.

I don't know if you've followed discussions on euthanasia, but the most humane way would probably be to cool it for a short time (fridge, not freezer), wrap in a cloth and crush BOTH heads as quickly as you can (I have used a hammer). Don't freeze a live animal....

So sorry for these ill fated twins.........

Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
ReptileGeek181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post

Severe kinks would stop it eating and moving, and I would cull it. A hard call, especially when you've worked hard on the clutch, but consider quality of life for the animal.

I don't know if you've followed discussions on euthanasia, but the most humane way would probably be to cool it for a short time (fridge, not freezer), wrap in a cloth and crush BOTH heads as quickly as you can (I have used a hammer). Don't freeze a live animal....

So sorry for these ill fated twins.........
In my personal opinion smashing the heads with a hammer isn't humane at all. If you can afford to please take the poor snake to a vet so he can be humanely euthanized.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
nickyp0
it would cost over $200 to go to the vet to put him down, and they would have to find the heart to do a stick prick to put it down, idk but that sounds like a lot of pain to me

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!