Sub sahara ball python - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #41
Ballfiend
Hey I love my dinkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORY J HALL View Post
I guess sub Saharan is just like the word dinker most be worth more because of a new name somebody made up

Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #42
Abby
A quickie of my big girl.... she is 3750g in these pics and around 12 years old. Has been in captivity for at the least most of her life, she could be captive bred but I don't know, I just know she was a pet for most of her life. She should be having her first clutch this yr. She is massive and built entirely different than my other females who range 1300-2600g (hard to explain, but you can feel it) Huge head on her. I don't know if she is a "Sub-Saharan" but I do believe her size can be attributed to both age and genetics.

here she is with a 1100g male Huffman.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #43
P&A Pythons
Ya that big head is probally a good indicator. I had a male few years ago was absolutely huge wanna say close to 4000 grams he died from old age. I had him since I was a kid. I should have breed him back then but I was not into breeding then.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #44
RobNJ
"Sub-Saharan"()...and I've also seen these BIG gene girls labeled Voltas, from a specific locale. While size is hereditary, thinking of this as a new gene is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Logical thinking would lead me to believe...

1) These HUGE girls are older.

2) If they are in fact being collected from a specific locale, the possibility of it being an area that for whatever reason lacks in more formidable predators is a very real one. I would imagine that whatever is preying on ball pythons is very likely also preying on what ball pythons eat, which would, as expected, lead to higher populations of prey items for the ball pythons to eat. I'd compare it to a less stressful environment promoting maximum growth...along the lines of Kodiak bears and Komodo dragons. Sure we would still see giant examples of either, but not nearly as many and as consistently if they were to live in a more competitive environment.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #45
mgoblue347
Come on now Abigail, you sure that isn't a child's hand to make the head appear bigger...LOL What a beautiful huge dark girl!!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #46
CornNut
I have no idea what the deal really is on these but just playing the devil’s advocate; IF there was a region of the ball python range where they specialized in feeding on a larger species (think prairie dogs vs. gophers for a North American example) then seems logical that gene pool might get selected for bigger snakes with bigger heads.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #47
ClarkT
We ultrasounded my WC subsaharan tonight. She's Gravid with 46mm follicles!!! So she's gravid from the wild. I palpated at least 12 follicles when she got here. Hoping for more... We didn't want to try and count them with the ultrasound. She wasn't holding still. Anyway...I'm just excited .

Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #48
mgoblue347
That is awesome! Good luck on your surprise clutch!!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #49
RoyalPythonPros
Are all of these "sub saharan" females?

Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #50
Kingofspades
My small subsaharan dropped me 10 good eggs and 1 slug.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!