What's wrong with my Ball Python? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
GraceHurst2001
Exclamation What's wrong with my Ball Python?

This is my male basic ball python, purchased from Petco 3 months ago. He has these wounds all along his spine. Is it scale rot? Whatever it is, how do I treat him at home before needing to take him to a veterinarian?
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Robert Walker
Moved to Ball Python Discussion Forum

Old 02-26-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
bcr229
Those look like burns. What are you using for heat?

Old 02-26-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
hotlips
And those are pretty extensive wounds...burns & other wounds are painful, slow to heal and can get infected (ie. worse!). You should be taking him to the vet NOW, not looking for a home-care solution other than fixing whatever caused this to happen. Burns are best treated with a prescription topical, nothing you can buy at the store. Please get him some help with a qualified reptile vet, and post pics of your cage set-up so we can help you determine what went wrong. If it's not burns, I also wondered if he might have scraped his back on something very abrasive, maybe the cage top in trying to get out? Either way, he needs help healing & his cage needs modification.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
GraceHurst2001
Using a standard heating lamp. Perhaps it should be raised to keep him from further burns? He seems to enjoy being right up to it, always on top of his hide.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
GraceHurst2001
He also really enjoys bathing. It seems to soothe any pain he is having.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceHurst2001 View Post
Using a standard heating lamp. Perhaps it should be raised to keep him from further burns? He seems to enjoy being right up to it, always on top of his hide.
The trouble with using heat lamps is that they are on top of the cage, and most of the heat rises up & away from the cage, so first of all they are inefficient (wasting energy). Ball pythons need very warm cages...you need to stop using this heat lamp and use appropriate methods to adequately heat his cage. Depending on the ambient temperature in your house (or the room where his cage is) and the size & type of his cage, you may need to use more than one type of heat, but do NOT use this heat lamp, he is already injured & suffering. He "enjoys" being next to it because he is desperate for adequate heat, not because it is suitable. You should be using UTH and/or RHP, both if needed to raise the temperature in the cage to the levels recommended for ball pythons. (and never heat the entire cage, one end should be unheated for safety, so they can thermoregulate as needed) I prefer UTH, because snakes can warm their tummy for digestion. ALL heating devices must be regulated by thermostat so they don't burn your poor snake as you've already done. Until you can fix this cage, you could (in a pinch) use a human heat pad for UTH, but be careful to leave a little air space for safety: better to get quality UTH (or RHP) a.s.a.p. and get this snake some medical attention.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceHurst2001 View Post
He also really enjoys bathing. It seems to soothe any pain he is having.
If he could talk, he might tell you otherwise. Please get him medical help a.s.a.p.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #9
hotlips
By the way, "bathing" is the only option he has, & while it may be better than nothing (for how he "feels" from this injury) it also promotes infection.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!