Advice for purchase. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-28-2020, 10:09 PM   #1
Condescomputers
Advice for purchase.

I am getting into breeding because I want a scaleless ball python. With scaleless balls being so hard to sal I'm debating on what I should buy for my 2nd pair. I would like to have a side projects that funds my main focus which is scalesless. I purchased a 1.1 Mojave scalesless head and a banana scalesless head. I can either buy a lesser adult scalesless head, or I can buy a hatchling pair of pieds. I am trying to figure out which way to go. If I buy the adult I can breed next season, but it will be all scalesless heads with a few normals or possibly a banana.

From a business stand point I think it would make sense to buy the pied pair, but from a personal standpoint I want the sh lesser female. But I also don't want to end up with a bunch of scalesless and scaleless heads that I cannot sell.

Would you guys buy the adult, or go with the hatchlings?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Old 06-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #2
snowgyre
Wait until you produce some scaleless and see how they sell before you invest into the project more. Scaleless snakes are healthy, sure, but they are incredibly high maintenance (they shed a lot, their skin scratches, they can't shed on normal substrates because they have no traction, etc.), more maintenance than a lot of ball python breeders are willing to take.

I'm not sure why you think you're locked into just scaleless or pieds, there are a lot of genes to play with out there, and regular pieds are a dime a dozen now. I would investigate other morphs and see what you like, then invest in that.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
Condescomputers
it's not that I think I'm stuck with either by their scale is is that pies or scale is or the to Morse that I would like to work with.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
Condescomputers
Sorry talk to type messed up. I don't think I'm stuck with pied or scalesless it's just that those are what I want to work with.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
Condescomputers
So I have a male Mojave scalesless head and a female banana scalesless head. I currently have 1000 dollars to spend on another female or a hatchling pair. I am debating on buying a scalesless head lesser, for Bel. Or a pied pair. The question is should I buy a single female adult, or a pair of hatchlings.

I don't have an issue with waiting three years, but from a business standpoint it would make sense to get the adult so I can start breeding next year.

What do you guys think I should do? Buy an adult female that will go good with my male? Or buy a different hatchling pair?

Like the answer above I'm pretty sure I should buy a different pair, just in case I cannot sell the scalesless. My issue with that is the whole reason I'm getting into breeding is to make scalesless snakes. I don't really care for any other morphs.

So that leaves me at a point where if I buy a pair I should buy something that will be an easy sale. Something like pied or Bel. But because I don't care for the other morphs I really want to buy the adult scalesless head lesser female. But at the same point I don't want a bunch of scalesless hatchlings that I am unable to sell. All I really need is one scalesless and I will be happy.

Old 06-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #6
Condescomputers
With a 1000 dollar limit what morphs would you get into?

Old 06-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
elena
Don't buy something you're not passionate about, just to make money. In general, it's not a good idea to expect to make money by breeding reptiles, because it's not a sure bet by any means and a ton of labor goes into it. Breed because you love the animals, and if you make money, it will be a little bonus.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #8
Condescomputers
The money is a bonus. For example with the scaleless I don't plan on selling any of my super scaleless heads, unless I make more than 3. The reason I am looking into a lower end project is even though I am not breeding to make money, it would be nice to make some. Just enough to help with food costs and upkeep. I figure pieds would be a good start. I really like pieds. Either that or Bel. But I'm having an issue finding a super lesser and a super mojave. I like the Mojave/lesser because there is no gray on the head.

Those are the morphs I like and am passionate about. So the question is do I dump everything into scaleless head, or do I diversify?

Old 07-08-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
303_enfield
Breed for the end snake you want. If you want to make money raise feeder rodents.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!