Selective spider breeding - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #71
zacalaca
the thing is that i didn't start wobbling until going into its third year and it had already been bred the previous season. his brother (the non wobbler as of right now) is the one i bred this past season. now does that mean i shouldn't have bred him as well because his litter mate wobbles now? even a ferrari with flat tires and body damage can be sold, and maybe even driven. the price i'm offering, i'm losing out big time. a wobbler may be all some can afford.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #72
bad-one
Well here is how I see it,

A spider that wobbles severely shouldn't be bred, we are not here to reinforce severe wobbling after all. However, since it has been stated the founding male wobbled and that spiders that don't wobble can produce wobbling babies I strongly believe the wobbling is something tied directly to the spider genes and I highly doubt it can be bred out. Not all may exhibit the wobble but I'm sure most of those if not all still carry what causes wobbles.

I'd very much prefer a spider that doesn't wobble since it isn't a desirable trait, but I wouldn't permanently shelf an animal that expressed a slight wobble either.

I think there should be research done on wobbler to normal and non wobbler to normal breedings with %'s taken of how many animals expressed the wobble and to what severity.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #73
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacalaca View Post
the thing is that i didn't start wobbling until going into its third year and it had already been bred the previous season. his brother (the non wobbler as of right now) is the one i bred this past season. now does that mean i shouldn't have bred him as well because his litter mate wobbles now? even a ferrari with flat tires and body damage can be sold, and maybe even driven. the price i'm offering, i'm losing out big time. a wobbler may be all some can afford.
An entire paragraph of rationalization.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #74
hhmoore
You'd be losing big time, even if you were selling a perfect male - and I'm not saying anything against you selling it...it's yours, you have that right. I said I wouldn't use a wobbler in my breeding program. As for a wobbler being all some people can afford, that's a matter of perspective and standards. Maybe they can't afford a breedable male for about $150 more, but that doesn't mean they can't afford a nonwobbler...just that they may not be able to breed it this year.
As you said in your ad, somebody will buy it...and more than likely use it as a breeder.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #75
SPJ
Quote:
wel looks like i provoked a discussion with my ad trying to sell my wobbly one.
Your ad had nothing to do with this thread when I started it back on 02-05-2007.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #76
zacalaca
I pay attention. but my ad has sparked new activity. whatever the case, HEY EVERYBODY THE SPIDER I USED TO BREED THIS PAST SEASON HAS A BROTHER WHO WOBBLES, I KNEW THIS AND DID IT ANYWAY. like i said at least i'm honest and didn't try and play down his condition. i hope he can be someones pet, but i wouldn't care if they did breed it- thats their choice. if i saw a catotonic, one eyed, mite infested genetic stripe super phantom ghost pied double het caramel and albino up for sale for 500, i'd strongly consider buying it, if i didn't jump all over it. call it justification or whatever, i know i dont want any "extra" snakes in my collection, and i figured selling him was better than shelving him. rats aren't free last i checked

Old 07-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #77
Lucille
Quote:
if i saw a catotonic, one eyed, mite infested genetic stripe super phantom ghost pied double het caramel and albino up for sale for 500, i'd strongly consider buying it
You are certainly establishing your reputation as a buyer and seller of the halt and the lame.....

Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #78
Miss Tuniwha
Personally. I do not breed to make money, I am breeding to make beautiful, high quality animals. The animals that I purchased to be future breeders are high quality. I had very little money, but I saved up!

I PERSONALLY would never breed a snake that was knowingly defective. Anything that has an obvious genetic defect. (yes I am aware of the spider issues. There are different levels. I would not buy nor sell heavy wobbler. and agree that babies born with a severe wobble should be freezer food. regardless if it is a spider/bee/other mix)

No one eyed wonders will breed here.

The only reason I can see to knowingly breed defects is for greed, or/and a lack of care for quality of the reptiles.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #79
SPJ
Quote:
I pay attention. but my ad has sparked new activity. whatever the case, HEY EVERYBODY THE SPIDER I USED TO BREED THIS PAST SEASON HAS A BROTHER WHO WOBBLES, I KNEW THIS AND DID IT ANYWAY. like i said at least i'm honest and didn't try and play down his condition. i hope he can be someones pet, but i wouldn't care if they did breed it- thats their choice. if i saw a catotonic, one eyed, mite infested genetic stripe super phantom ghost pied double het caramel and albino up for sale for 500, i'd strongly consider buying it, if i didn't jump all over it. call it justification or whatever, i know i dont want any "extra" snakes in my collection, and i figured selling him was better than shelving him. rats aren't free last i checked
You may not have spurred this thread but you are the exact reason I started it. One eyed animals, kinked animals, sever wobblers, etc.....should not be bred. You are the type in this to make a buck with no regards to the animal. How much is a rat? Give me a break. I have a 7 year old normal male here as a pet and he gets a rat every week. He will never be a money maker but he is a pet. Your attitude about these animals is what is wrong with this whole scenario.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #80
Miss Tuniwha
... if you can not afford to properly feed the animal (regardless of what kind) then you should not own it. LET ALONE breed it.

example. .. if you can only afford enough rats to feed 4 snakes... only have 4 snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!