Darned critters and their noneating habits! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-19-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Mooing Tricycle
Darned critters and their noneating habits!

So, at trying my hand on a relatively unknown ( or at least, not WELL known) species, I Decided to of course, get myself a Sunbeam snake. I had heard a lot of mixed opinions on these guys, but mainly bad. I wasnt deterred * i rarely am!*. i REALLY wanted to get one of these snakes! They are simply Gorgeous in person, and pictures do them NO justice at all.

I wanted to... sort of... challenge myself a little, with something i knew very little about, besides basic care, and try my hand at keeping one, something that maybe id eventually get another of and try breeding later on down the road if i was successful. ( How COOL would that be?!?)

Im by no means out of the woods at all yet, weve got to make this a regular thing....
but you know... at the same time lets face it... its not like its hard to keep snakes if you get stuff right to begin with. So i suppose im not REALLY challenging myself so much as... trying new things? I dunno.. anyway.....

Since ive had this guy, he hadnt eaten for me.( he was eating before i got him, but shipping must have just really messed this bugger up!) I tried a couple times with no luck the first two weeks i had him. I was really trying to avoid stressing him out, so i left him completely alone... Still no go. though it had only been a few weeks since getting him. Nothing to really worry about i would say to myself, it hasnt even been that long yet.
*even though i was really worried id some how mess up keeping this guy. not to mention i really had my hopes set high that id be successful with him!*. ( its only been 30 days since i got him, just about)

Finally, tonight. after not even going remotely anywhere near him for the past couple weeks, save for fresh water, He ate! TWO mice!
I cant really explain how HAPPY i am! This is a great thing for me, and a fun little accomplishment *even though he did all the work *.
Im RELIEVED. Id never worry about a ball python not eating like this, or any other snake...so much. but this guy... i dont know why, i was just REALLY worried id be totally letting myself down on keeping this species.

Rock ON!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Don't sell yourself short Alicia, if you didn't have things set up right, he prolly wouldn't eat at all. Super glad that you were successful!!

Old 09-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
And he ate again last night

This time a nice FAT african soft fur rat. ^_- rock on!

Old 09-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
shrap
Rock on, Alicia!! I am very happy for you!

Old 09-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
norsmis
Congrats! I know how frustrating it can be. Pat your self on the back girl!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
colubrids, feeding, feeding problem, sunbeam snake, xenopeltis unicolor