Help: How do I Stop a Leo from Dropping it's Tail? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-09-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
Niqui13
Unhappy Help: How do I Stop a Leo from Dropping it's Tail?

I just recieved two Leos via UPS about an hour ago. One is perfect, the other has a huge crack at the base of her tail! How can I stop the tail from dropping completely? She can still move it and is active, but everytime she wiggles I'm affraid that will be it and it will drop! If it does drop I'll still love her, she's a beautiful baldy. But she's got about 1/3 carrot-tail and it'd be ashame if she lost it. Please help, I'm nervous and don't know what to do!!! Thanks.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:33 AM   #2
ShannanD25
Best thing to do is keep her seperate from anyone else and calm. It will heal. I had a male escape into my Giant male's bin, I am still trying to figure out how he did it....talk about nasty...His tail was hanging in three places. I kept him secluded and now you can barely tell. There is just one little scar of over overlapping skin where it all grew back. I also did some warm water soaks in an antiseptic solution, or anti bacterial soap, making sure they dont drink it, to help with any infection. Can you post a pic of how bad it is?
Good luck!

Old 12-09-2004, 10:43 AM   #3
Niqui13
I would but . . .

I would but it's on the underside of her tail and I don't want to hold her upsidedown to expose it for fear it will just fall off. It is fine at the top, but underneith, near her vent it's open about 1/2 inch long and maybe 1/4 inch deep. It looks really close to dropping though. I have a feeling it will. So your Leo's tail was split, but it didn't drop off? That's great. I hope my new girl has the same good luck! Thanks for your help.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:50 AM   #4
Niqui13
P.s.

About how long did it take your boys tail to heal over? Also I'm glad he's doing well now!

Old 12-09-2004, 10:52 AM   #5
ShannanD25
Good luck. Don't bother with a pic then! It will be a waiting game and a try in patience for you now. If it hasn't already dropped then I would say you have a good chance that she will heal. Just let her sleep and keep her warm and quiet!

Let us all know how it goes!

Old 12-09-2004, 10:54 AM   #6
ShannanD25
I noticed it scabbing over in about two days.
It stayed nasty looking through two sheds, if I remember correctly. Then on his third shed it was gone, the evidence of it all.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:24 AM   #7
Golden Gate Geckos
tail

I had a similar experience with a juvenile that leaped out onto the floor, and when I picked her up there was blood on my hand. Her tail was about 50% severed on the bottom! She was kept on paper towel and left alone for several days when I started to notice a scab forming, and it did heal completely. I didn't use any antiseptic at all.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:29 AM   #8
Niqui13
I feel better now!

Thanks you guys. You are making me feel much better about this mishap. I didn't realize their tails could heal like that. I just assumed once the tail started falling off, that was it. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you informed on how she's doing!

Old 12-09-2004, 11:32 AM   #9
ShannanD25
You probably don't need antiseptic, I was just over zealous! I tend to go overboard.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Old 12-09-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
Manhattan Herps
i have a female that this happened to a couple months ago, i was cleaning out her tub, she started to squirm and i did not want to let her go because she pretty much would have fallen and it could have been worse..anyway about 5 mins later i noticed a tiny bit of blood on my fingers and sure enough her tail was split on the underside, i left her alone for 4 days, keeping her stress free, and the tail is completely healed, can't even see a scar

good luck with her, i really hope that tail doesnt fall off

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!