What is it? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
maggie22195
What is it?

Hey guys I need some ID help. We found this tort on our front lawn and we are not sure what it is... Any help would be great! We live in Arizona too if that helps.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
rcarichter
Gopherus agassizii, Desert tortoise.

Noelle

Old 10-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
maggie22195
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
Gopherus agassizii, Desert tortoise.

Noelle
Why is the shell red?

Old 10-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
rcarichter
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie22195 View Post
Why is the shell red?
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. To be honest, it looks more like the Texas desert tortoise (G. berlandieri). I didn't realize they have made it as far west as Arizona, but I looked it up and apparently they have. Google it and see what you think.

Noelle

Old 10-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
maggie22195
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. To be honest, it looks more like the Texas desert tortoise (G. berlandieri). I didn't realize they have made it as far west as Arizona, but I looked it up and apparently they have. Google it and see what you think.

Noelle
It still doesn't seem like the shell is as red as this one. Hahaha this is so weird!!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
chairman
I seriously doubt that he's a wild tortoise that "made it as far west as Arizona" due to the pyramiding. The pattern indicates that he was raised indoors (improperly, caused pyramiding) and then placed in an outdoor enclosure 'recently' (smooth growth). He probably escaped from the outdoor enclosure and found his way into your yard. If he was wild or raised properly he'd be smooth.

My vote for the red color is that he is stained from substrate, either a red/orange-clay or a reddish orchid bark. He might lighten up after a couple soaks, maybe a light scrubbing with a toothbrush.

Make sure you check your local laws when it comes to keeping him. I believe that AZ has some of the strictest guidelines when it comes to desert torts.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Floof
Agreed with Michael. Looks like a Gopherus species, but the pyramiding indicates it was raised indoors. Check your local laws on whether it's legal to have him, try to find the owners, and if you end up keeping it, a great forum for torts, where you can read up more on appropriate care and get a more spot-on species ID, is http://tortoiseforum.org.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!