Leftover feeders - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:46 AM   #1
bigjej
Leftover feeders

What do you do with your thawed rodents when they are not eaten? Do you chuck them or refreeze them? I ha e this problem every few feeds when 1 or more snakes will refuse a meal and I have noone left to feed it to. Sometimes this only gets doscovered in the morning as some of my snakes wont tong feed and I have to leave the mouse over the warm spot overnight. I probably chuck 20% of my feeders like this in a bad month.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
chrisis697
If they have only been thawed out once it is ok to refreeze them. I would not recommend doin it a second time tho. Also if the rodent has been sitting out for a long time like overnight i would not freeze it again. You could always thaw out in smaller quantities so that way if a few dont eat not all your rodents are completely thawed out & you can refreeze the ones that are still a lil cool.
Good luck
Chris

B and S Pythons/facebook

Old 01-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
NIGRO51
Definitely take out less than you need..I use my savannah monitor as the garbage can

Old 01-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGRO51 View Post
Definitely take out less than you need..I use my savannah monitor as the garbage can
This, and check all of your snakes after an hour rather than the next morning. By now you probably have a good idea of which ones are picky and which are not.

Feed the garbage disposals like boas last. If you don't have a boa then get one.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
Good advice given, take out a few less than you need if possible, maybe stagger the feedings a day or two? I don't refreeze. I have boas, a corn snake and king snake that get anything that isn't taken (but if it was left overnight, then it gets tossed). I hate the waste but sometimes it happens however 20% is way more than I'd want to be throwing away.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
bigjej
Thanks for the advice. My work schedule is such that feeding once a week when I'm off is easiest but I think staggering days will be worth a try.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!