Adult Ball Python Feeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
Bill & Amy
Adult Ball Python Feeding

I am just wondering what some people recommend for feeding adult Ball Pythons. I am trying to get my females "bulked up" for breeding. I currently am feeding a medium rat every 5 days. The reason I ask is my 100% het pied female acts like she would take another after finishing the first. She is the only one currently acting like she would. Most books, articles and videos only cover feeding neonate and subadults to gain weight and dont cover adult feeding for weight gain. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
PaulSage
Quote:
The reason I ask is my 100% het pied female acts like she would take another after finishing the first.
I would try offering multiple items at the same feeding. When I was acclimating a WC adult female, there was a point when she would eat live mice, but not rats. However, she had no problem taking 3-4 of them in a row.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
I would try offering multiple items at the same feeding. When I was acclimating a WC adult female, there was a point when she would eat live mice, but not rats. However, she had no problem taking 3-4 of them in a row.
Thanks Paul!

I just offered her another rat and she snatched it up before I could get it all the way in the tub!! Her eating has just been ferocious. YAY! :eatpointe

Old 11-26-2005, 02:07 PM   #4
Whitewater Reptiles
Hello Bill & Amy,
After my females lay eggs I will feed 2-3 med. or small rats twice a week. But a first time breeder that has been feeding all along and is 1200 - 1500 grams I will offer her 2 small rats and if she appears to be looking for more , then I will offer her another in a couple of days - feed to breed. If your females feeding response has become more aggressive, I think that's a good sign that she's attempting to fatten up so that her follicles can develop. I would also introduce the male for an evening or two so that the process can continue.
Good luck,
Mike Derks

Old 11-27-2005, 11:33 AM   #5
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Reptiles
Hello Bill & Amy,
After my females lay eggs I will feed 2-3 med. or small rats twice a week. But a first time breeder that has been feeding all along and is 1200 - 1500 grams I will offer her 2 small rats and if she appears to be looking for more , then I will offer her another in a couple of days - feed to breed. If your females feeding response has become more aggressive, I think that's a good sign that she's attempting to fatten up so that her follicles can develop. I would also introduce the male for an evening or two so that the process can continue.
Good luck,
Mike Derks
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip!! I put the female with the male last night, I think love was in the sky! I found them with the male's tail under the female's last night right before bed. Got up this morning and they are in the same position, didnt move for 8 hours!!

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/phot...cat/500/page/1

Sorry for bad pic, didnt want to interrupt!!

Bill

Old 11-27-2005, 08:25 PM   #6
Whitewater Reptiles
Bill,
That's good news, now just continue to feed and let them pair up 2 - 3 times each month and be patient.
Mike Derks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!