Breeding Kings without Brumation? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Wade'sWildColubrids
Breeding Kings without Brumation?

Hi guys,

Has anyone ever successfully bred Kings, mainly Brooks and Cal Kings, without a brumation period? I suspect that it could be possible with Brooks/Florida due to very little seasonal change at all in their natural habitat.

Thanks
-Wade

Old 12-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
davy a.
Hey Wade, I've never brumated mine, I do mostly kings and milks, and hybrids, a few slow down eating when the cold fronts push thru, but alot eat on warmer days--what I find is that they breed a little later in spring, mid April & May, still have pretty good clutches. I'm in C. Fla. and during the real cold times, maybe there's a measure of natural dormant time, but usually not more than a couple of weeks. Still have the Bairdy?

Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Wade'sWildColubrids
Hi David, great to hear from you! I do still have the Bairdi and she's doing great. I'm hoping to breed her next season to my male Brooks. Just have to get some more size on her.

My current plan is to just keep preparing them for brumation, which I start my snakes on around Christmas day, and keep them like that probably for just a month. Around 55-60 degrees or so. I'm going to keep pairing them up before that time comes, and if I see a lock up, then I won't give them a brumation.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks
-Wade

Old 12-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
RossCA
I live in Southern CA and keep my Cal kings at room temp from Dec-March. The temps range from 60-70 most of the time. Hope that helps.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
ssshane
Quote:
Hey Wade, I've never brumated mine, I do mostly kings and milks, and hybrids, a few slow down eating when the cold fronts push thru, but alot eat on warmer days--what I find is that they breed a little later in spring, mid April & May, still have pretty good clutches.
Hi Davy. I was wondering what you meant by pretty good clutches. I was wondering if you could give an example of the clutch size vs hatch rate of a few diff kings. I have a friend out west who works mainly with Cali Kings and he doesnt brumate either. Thanks for the input. I look forward to hearing back. I am very interested

Old 01-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
davy a.
Hey there, since I am in no way a model breeder, and since I generally don't keep detailed records, my reply will reflect it--I breed my adults approx.2 or 3 years, then sell them and work w/ a few choice holdbacks, mostly trying to create newer models-I enjoy the raising more than the breeding-trying to maintain this "hobby" of crosses and hybrids, while working w/ "pures"(E.Kings on E.seaboard,where I was stationed from Navydays).
Since my breeders are usually young and smaller, a 'pretty good' clutch is 5-12 eggs, don't incubate so I'd have to guess that hatch rate is prob.between 80 - 95%; afew throw slugs, usually first-timers.
Concerning hybrids, I've never even created the first hybrid, but obtain from others, then take it a generation or so further to see how the genes pool. What surprises me is how far aparts often resemble others not even in the mix. Check out some pics on my profile pg.albums.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!