texas rat snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Albino Gecko
texas rat snake

Hi I was just wondering if anyone had a good care sheet for texas rat snakes.
As I am thinking about getting one.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
leucistic
I don't know of a care sheet, but their care is basically the same as any other rat snake or corn snake. Their a pretty easy species to keep. You can keep them on aspen or newspaper sucessfully. As far as temperment goes, a lot of people say they are aggressive - I have not seen anymore aggression in any of mine than any of my other snakes...if anything, one of my corns is a lot more aggressive than my TX. As babies they might be a little snappy, but they'll grow out of it.

Good luck if you decide to go with this species. They really are a joy to keep!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
Albino Gecko
thanks, for the tips

Old 10-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
norsmis
I grew up catching Texas rats and I have found some wild adults to be calm but for the most part are pretty flighty and bitey. The hatchlings are definitely bitey but with some intestinal fortitude and patience, they usually come around.
Care is pretty simple as stated.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
zipzagger
I have had many wild caught Texas Rats that I caught myself and I usually let them go after a couple weeks, I have never had a captive bred TX Rat so take that into consideration, but the WC specimens were extremely aggressive, like copperheads, every time I put my hand in the cage they struck. I had an 8 footer for a time, it was like getting bit by a python, it was brutal. I caught a 2.5 foot baby once, someone was about to kill it at a park restroom, and that thing never calmed down.

One thing I can say for sure, don't feed them big meals or they will regurgitate. The 1.5 rule should be adhered to, that is to say, don't feed them anything that is more than 50 percent bigger in diameter than their head. I would actually say stick with the same size as them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!