pro's and cons of a ball python - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-02-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
hediki
pro's and cons of a ball python

hey im planning on getting a ball python or some python non arboreal maybe that can hold in a 20L. i've herd ball pythons go on hunger strikes and die at times is this true? and what causes it? and what is another python/boas with similar requierments and cand hold in a 20L and isnt pricey. or even can hold in a 20H if some what arborealy. thanks

Old 12-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Junkyard
Yes, hunger strikes are not uncommon for ball pythons. It seems that the wild caughts are more likely to do this than captive bred. There are many factors that can lead to a hunger strike ie. stress, sickness, transporting etc.

There are a few good snakes with easy care requirements and do not get to big; Sand Boas, Children's Pythons, Corn Snakes. So good luck and look around, see what you like.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
hediki
ok are spotted and childrens pythons arboreal?

Old 12-02-2005, 07:06 PM   #4
hhmoore
Michael is correct - the CB, and even CH (thats captive bred, and captive hatched), ball pythons do much better in captivity than imports. Imports are infamous for not eating in captivity, and for years their popularity suffered because of it. If you are intent on sticking with pythons, and a 20L, you could also consider Childrens, Spotted, and Savu pythons. If you are willing to consider boas and/or (especially) colubrids, your choices become more plentiful

Old 12-02-2005, 07:30 PM   #5
Junkyard
From what I understand the Children's Pythons and similar snakes are not arboreal. Have have not uses and branches or perches for mine.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
Scott Ashton
Don't let what you have heard about feeding scare you off from considering a ball. Their disposition is that of a puppy dog.

You may not find that with the Children's Python, despite its name.

The bottom line is that if you acquire your ball from a reputable source and it is captive born you will not have a problem. Make sure to find (not hard) an animal that is eating frozen thawed (f/t) rodents.

-Scott Ashton

Old 12-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
LadyOhh
I have 13 ball pythons, and only one of them has ever gone on a hunger strike...and she didn't die.

If you have good husbandry and a concern for your Ball, it shouldn't be that big a problem. Plus it saves you in feeder costs! (j/k)

Balls are my favorite snakes, very calm and docile (for the most part). I would always suggest a ball as a starter snake, but then again I don't know much about the Children's or Spotted pythons.

Have fun with it and choose what you like the best! Colors, temperment, size... Whatever's clever. Good luck!

Old 12-04-2005, 02:28 AM   #8
darkbloodwyvern
feeding

it seems if you don't buy WC, and the breeder will tell the truth about their eating habits, they are usually great eaters. My '05 male is a great feeder so far. he has a better feeding response than my corn snake, but he doesn't pig out the way my corn does. My corn goes off feeding in the breeding season too, so it's not just balls that do it. Lycaeus (the python) loves to eat, and he lets me know exactly when he is hungry too. He usually will sit in my lap and snooze, but when he's hungry he will prowl all over until i feed him or put him back in his cage (where he prowls some more)
he is just very sweet and docile, a little jumpy, but i am moving slower and deliberatly being calm and that seems to help a whole lot. good luck with whatever you get, just be sure to try and interact with as many different individuals of the kind of snake you want before getting one, it makes it so much easier to decide what kind youw ant when you find out the general habits of your chosen pet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!