Keeping Crickets - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #1
Reptilewoman
Keeping Crickets

Hello,

I'm having so much trouble keeping crickets. I have been putting them in tall Rubbermaid bins with lids but they still seem to get out. I live in an apartment complex and am terribly afraid they'll get in other peoples apartments. My husband works for the complex and we could loose our apartment if anyone complains and get an exterminator. Has anybody have a betty way to keep them?

Reptilewoman

Old 08-13-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Reptileking636
I would switch over to lobster roaches, and give up on the crickets. They won't escape if you apply a thin layer of vasoline around the top of the cage. They also do not smell and reproduce extremely fast. so that is nice. Here is a very nice link that tells you pretty much everything about them. http://www.bugchick.com/cinerea/

Old 08-13-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
Junkyard
If you are destined to keep crickets you may want to use a big trash can, they will have a much harder time jumping out of one. One thing to look out for is ants, we have a terrible ant problem here in So California. I started to keep crickets, but the ants raided and killed everyone of them. I later found out that this is nothing new, I have talked to store owners who have lost around 3500 in one night because of ants. Just my two cents

Old 08-13-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
Casey Hulse
Crickets

are fairly easy to keep, get an opaque polypropelene 56qt or similar rubbermaid or Sterilite tub, they cannot climb out of these unless you scratch the surface. Put 3-4 laters of newspaper in the bottom, some comercial cricket food or cereal product like oatmeal, or smashed cheerios. cut an orange in half and they will use this for moisture. That is all, we do not even put a lid on as the condensation can kill them or grow mold. Just make sure there is nothing they can get too close to thwe top on cause they can jump 6-8". Good luck

Old 08-13-2005, 10:23 PM   #5
cricket
Oranges

Oranges will KILL your circkets in 24 hours!! Try putting the crickets in 20gal glass container with a glass lid, the sides are too slick for them to climb. Make sure that your egg flats are laid flat on the bottom so they can not use it as a "ladder"

Old 08-13-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
Casey Hulse
Quote:
Oranges will KILL your circkets in 24 hours!!
[b]No They surely will not. I have been giving oranges to crickets for years.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:07 PM   #7
Casey Hulse
p.s. I do not use oranges very often anymore as it is not very economical because we have been going thru about 8000-10,000 a week.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
Reptilewoman
Keeping Crickets

Thank you everyone. If I use a trash can do you mean one of those big green ones for outside or a big kitchen trash can? I live in an apartment and the only place I can keep a big trash can of crickets is in the tub.

Reptilewoman

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!