Garter prices - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

YES! You can option out of the Google and InfoLinks ads! Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Hognose, Garter, Water & Ribbon Snakes

Notices

Old 06-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #1
Michael Cardell
Garter prices

I can't believe the prices of garters. They have trippled in the past couple of years
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-02-2021, 07:19 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
This should probably go in the discussion section.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:04 PM   #3
Michael Cardell
Garter

I cant find it.
  Contact User Check User
Old 06-02-2021, 11:19 PM   #5
NWfancyscales
Yep... unfortunately "Snake Discovery" made everyone go crazy about them. Ive been keeping garter snakes since I was 6 years old and I'm now 30. Used to breed Easterns and Fitchii (different state) in high-school and sell them to my friends for $15 lol!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 06-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #6
D755dew
Just observing the ads since the pandemic started, prices across the board, for the most part, have gone way up on all reptiles. All of a sudden I think people are looking to make lots of money as opposed to expanding the hobby. Perhaps trying to regain revenue that was lost as a result of COVID.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:00 AM   #7
BLUESIRTALIS
go price a sheet of plywood, lol!

Old 06-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #8
BLUESIRTALIS
The truth is guys that garters are still rare in the hobby with the exception of a few species/subspecies! If you search the classifieds you will find thousands of corns/rats, western hogs, and boas/pythons and only a small handful of garters. What's happened is people have found out how fascinating garters are and now we have way more demand than supply so naturally prices go up. I have been breeding garters for years and it's a lot of work to try and produce enough babies to supply everyone and we only have a few garter breeders in the hobby! look back through the classifieds and see how many eastern garter snake morphs are available. If you want to work with these magnificent snakes you have to get them quick because only a handful are available each year. Also keep in mind that garters were always under priced compared to other species. Just want to give my thoughts on the subject, Thanks!

Old 06-04-2021, 10:24 PM   #9
JoeNapoli
Shawn is right.

Old 06-05-2021, 06:42 AM   #10
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by D755dew View Post
Just observing the ads since the pandemic started, prices across the board, for the most part, have gone way up on all reptiles. All of a sudden I think people are looking to make lots of money as opposed to expanding the hobby. Perhaps trying to regain revenue that was lost as a result of COVID.
Yes, prices are up across the board. I think there are a couple reasons for this.

Demand is (and was during the past year) higher than normal, possibly because many people were at home more. This is similar to the substantially increased demand in the winter up north here.

For brick and mortar stores, they have been having a substantial increase in expenses. Wages are up because of employee shortage, supply chain issues are adding a lot of cost, and the disruption of normal sales practices (can't vend at shows, can't open store showroom or have to limit capacity) add complications that motivate higher pricing to offset the trouble.

These things do trickle down to hobby breeders, too. My local source of rodent food, for example, increased pricing by 50% because of supply chain issues. Feeder insects are in crazy high demand (superworm shortage again) and prices are high.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!