Help!!! For tree monitor picky eater - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-23-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
V675210
Help!!! For tree monitor picky eater

Hello I have tree monitor that is about 1 year old . I’m getting frustrated that he only eats dirt yes u did Hear that right. He’s supper picky he only eats crickets, egg and once while pinkies alive only not frozen I have try to feed him mix food and he does not accept it . From meal worms , wax worms ,roaches of all kinds , silk worms , butter worms , live and dead grasshoppers. Quail eggs . And there’s no interest can anyone help me I don’t know what to do . I have try bending the insects in the egg still does not work . I have try putting around 80 large crickets on his house but he prefers dirt has anyone had any issues like mine .

Old 06-23-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
James L
Sunlight is my cure for issues like this with other lizards. Good sun, fresh air, quality water. Stop throwing a bunch of bugs at it. Stop trying to feed it for a few days. Dont even show it bugs or food. Then try feeding. Sometimes its psychological with lizards. The lizard may pounce on anything that moves, if it hasn't seen food in a while. But the dirt thing does make me think its lacking a certain nutrient.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
V675210
U dust all of his food with vitamins , and I have try not feeding him for few days but it gets worse he eats more dirt . He had regular led light and uvb light so there’s a lot of light on his enclosure that’s 4x4 I guess I won’t feed him for week

Old 06-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #4
James L
I think LED lights suck personally. For uvb I recommend using T5 reptisun bulbs. Yes, I dust regularly and gutload my bugs. Goodluck!

Old 06-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #5
Tim Cole
What species is it? Most tree monitor species feed on bird eggs. I got some Black Trees feeding using quail eggs to start and after a few egg feedings they fed on crickets and small rodents. What is your basking temp?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
monitor lizard, tree monitor