Breeding Rats? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
KeeperOfTheSnakes
Breeding Rats?

I have a ball python that eats the "small adult" size frozen rats from the pet store, one every week. They cost somewhere around $2.50 each. I wanted to save a little money on rats, so I started breeding them. I got my pair a few weeks ago, and just recently got a litter. I feed all of the rats Harlan Teklad lab block, which I get for about $3 a pound, and I use the cheapest bedding I can find. Now that I have started breeding them, I now realize how much care they need, and it doesn't seem like I am saving that much money after all. Does anybody here know about how much money I am saving, if any?

Old 11-26-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
The Reptile House
See if you have and feed stores in your area. I get my shavings for around $6-$8 per 3.8 cubic feet compressed. The bag is about 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide and 1 foot deep approx to give you an idea(and thats compressed shavings so it goes a LONG way). I also get my pellets from my feed store also and it runs $12.00 per 50lb bag, that's about $.24 per pound. I use Furry friends lab pellets but they also get suplamented with other varieties as well.
yes it does cost a lot to raise rats, they eat A LOT.

I have #'s for manufactures and you can call them to see who carries their products in your area.

Shredded aspen- Harlan Teklad - 1-800-teklad
sani-chips- P.J. Murphy Forest products-1-800-631-1936

You can try those and see what you get.

Shanell.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
markface
with only one snake to feed you are probably better off just buying the rats . if you have multiple snakes to feed then it becomes more economical to breed your own rats . i raise my own rats too but i have 16 snakes to feed so it does save me a good bit of money . maybe you just need to get 5 or 6 more snakes to balance things out

Old 11-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
KeeperOfTheSnakes
Yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing. I'll probably just end up buying them from the pet store until my snake is fully grown, then I'll buy them in bulk from the internet. About how long do the rats keep good in the freezer? I have heard that the nutrients start depleting after 30 days, but now somebody is telling me that they can keep up to a year if kept in a sealed bag.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
scotty77327
Mark i like the way you think
scott

Old 11-26-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
The Reptile House
We vacume seal ours and they last quite a while. Shanell

Old 11-26-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
markface
if the rats are properly vacuum sealed they should be good for 6 months to a year .

Old 11-26-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
KeeperOfTheSnakes
I'm going to look into getting a vacuum pump, but do you know about how long they will last in just a freezer bag?

Old 11-27-2006, 12:19 AM   #9
markface
i would think atleast 2 or 3 months anyways .

Old 11-27-2006, 02:26 AM   #10
clarinet45
How does a frozen rat 'go bad'?? I have some that have probably been in there for almost a year or going on two, i don't really keep track. Never had a problem wtih freezer burn or snakes refusing old rats.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!