Rats, ASFs or mice? :) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
bokuza
Rats, ASFs or mice? :)

I own one BP right now. There will be more as time goes on of course. Hes about a month or so and his vendor was feeding him one live hopper mouse once a week.

What should I do? Here are my issues... Let me know if you guys have some good ideas.

1. No frozen.
  2. Takes almost 1hr and 30mins to get a feeder seller. Cant do that 1-2 a week.
  3. Rat pinkies would be great. Cant buy 5 or 6 and expect them to live till used and they grow fast but I really want the nutrition. I can breed these but for now my stock is too young.
  4. Mice are gross. Don't like them or what they offer for snake but they will usable longer if I breed at home.
  5. Natal rats? What do they offer for snakes? They are legal here and by god if they work ill breed em.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Shadera
I'd go with the breeding regular rats. The ASFs take too long to grow big enough once a snake needs a certain size feeder, and the same with mice. Rats can give you every size feeder you'll need, and pretty quickly at that. If you have extras or if you don't want them to get any bigger, kill off and freeze them for a rainy day. Even if your breeding stock is too young right now, they quickly reach maturity.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
bokuza
True true. I just worry that theyll be giving birth and Ill only get to use not even half of the litter before they grow too big. And for the tine being I only need small prey.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Artistry Exotics
I prefer feeding rats. Like already mentioned, they come in a variety of sizes that will feed ball pythons at any life stage.

I'd see if you can't get the snake switched to frozen/thawed. Then you can breed your own rats, freeze what you can't immediately use, and feed it as you need it.

If not, maybe you can see if there are others in your area who would be interested in buying extra rats off you? Maybe even the pet store - you could make a trip down there every couple weeks or so.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
bokuza
Ill keep trying to switch him to frozen. That would be so much easier.

Another question though, Your sig says 8.8 BB and 1.3 cornsnakes..what does that mean?

Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Artistry Exotics
The number before the decimal means males and the number after means females. So 8.8 means I have eight males and eight females. You can also use a third number, 2.5.1 for example, and the last number would mean the number of unsexed animals - so two males, five females, one unsexed in my previous example. I've also seen a fourth number added to mean the number of unhatched eggs.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
bokuza
Oh ok. Thats what I thought it meant but wasnt sure!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!