Oh Damn! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
JColt
Oh Damn!

Wife woke me up about 1:50 am. She didn't need to say anything. Skunk! She let my male boxer out and he got it full force in the face. Luckily she just let him out and not the female also. Spent 2 hours bathing dog and trying to get rid of smell. This morning it still lingers. Blah!

Old 05-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
JordanAng420
That sucks!

Years ago, when I was about 10 years old I lived in Rhode Island and the same thing happened to my golden retriever when we let him out. Unfortunately, it was SO BAD, the smell ended up seeping into our clothes, furnature, EVERYTHING! We couldn't get rid of it. And to top it off, we had to go to the synagoge because it was one of the Jewish high holidays...one of those things where you had to go for 2 days in a row...and I remember the rabbi telling my mom that he would understand if we couldn't make it the next day...LOL...

I do remember a product called Odo-Ban, a lot of fans all over the house, and having to bathe the dog with some really crazy shampoo.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
JColt
Yep used odoban! Washed the dog with listerene, dawn dish soap and vinegar. He actually smell ok. Right now it smells like clean skunk in house, lol. It is better now than a few hours ago. I also put odoban in carpet cleaner.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
SamanthaJane13
Tomato juice. It might turn light-colored animals pink till their next bath, but it works wonders.

For non-living things, Ozium spray. K-Mart carries it in their automotive/hardware department.

Ozium kicks azz!!

Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
LauraB
I can definitely sympathize .. when I lived in Wlimington, OH we had a bit of a skunk problem for a while. Every night during summer for the couple years I was there, you could actually smell the skunks from around 10PM till 1 or 2 AM, which totally dispelled what I had thought; that you only smelled the musk when they sprayed or when they were killed.

I never did know where they "lived" during the daytime. I was in a regular house in a regular very small neigborhood in a rural community. It was like the blasted skunks were everywhere, even though I never ever saw a live one.

Even though my backyard was fenced and my patio completely screen-enclosed and covered, my Husky Chynna was sprayed 3 times in 2 summers when I was at work ... one July I had to cancel my kid's Saturday afternoon birthday party due to a smelly "mishap" the evening before it was scheduled! (All skunks were dispatched by Chynna; their carcasses left on my patio for me to deal with).

Tomato juice didn't really work well with a Husky, maybe due to her thick fur. My vet told me to mix hydrogen peroxide, regular dishwashing detergent (I used "Dawn") and baking soda. It worked pretty well ... even though the smell lingered.

Since moving to ATL and even though I am in a heavily wooded natural hood, I've never seen nor smelled one. I guess they don't live here

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!