Red-foot Tortoise... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 08-29-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
jenn_jeffery
Red-foot Tortoise...

I'm considering trying to talk my husband into a red-foot tortoise. I currently have a cage with the floor dims of 48" x 30" and about 24" tall. Buying a hatchling, would one be able to live in this size cage for several years?

It has two light sockets inside, and I will add a UVB light. One of the light sockets will have a 60watt CHE, which puts the basking spot at 92F, and keeps the cool side 78-80 depending on the house temp. I would put cypress mulch in fairly thick and set a pan of shallow water in the subtrate at 'ground' level. Several hides and plants would be added for hiding spots.

How much does a hatchling eat daily? I read up to 4% of it's body weight, but that really didn't mean much. A leaf (large) of greens (I know mix them, but for amount reference...)

Thanks for any help...

Jennifer

Old 09-17-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
turtletary
Jennifer,

A hatchling redfoot tortoise couldn't ask for a better set-up for the first 5-6 years of it's life!! About the only thing you might consider.. would be a buddy for him. Redfoot tortoises are very gregarious.

This girl laid 8 eggs on 9/9.. can't wait to see the hatchlings!

You gotta love 'em!

Terry
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
Vince
All tortoises are solitary animals. any time you think they enjoy company or anything is just the owner projecting that on them. your redfoot could care less if theres anotherone with it, but they will deffently show intrest in you especialy after they know when they see you you bring food. as soon as my redfoots hear that screen door opean they all come running.

jen that encloser sounds great, and you asked how much a baby would eat? Id say feed it as much as it wants to eat then just leave the rest. stay low on protein for now. these guys are natural scavengers, and eat everything, just put a nice amount of food and if he eats it all put some more. you will get a feel for how much your redfoot likes to eat after about a week. there is nothing better then raising a baby into an adult, I have bought adults to breed, but I have had one for about 6 years now. well good luck with everything!! post some pics when you get you cage built.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
jenn_jeffery
The cage is actually already built. I'm currently trying to sell it, the redfoot is a backup plan if I can't sell it. I would honestly rather have the space in my living room back, as our son (and any other kids) would like the extra room, and we already have 4 dogs--large ones--so any extra space is quite helpful.

If I haven't sold it in a couple of months, I'll start looking into buying a redfoot baby...

Thanks for all answers...and here's a pic of the cage.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2004, 11:22 AM   #5
jenn_jeffery
As a side note, if I do get a tortoise, one of the two levels will be used for growing plants for him to eat--I'll put a couple of extra strip lights in with UVB, and use some of the plant growing bulbs.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
Vince
nice idea, what did you plan on growing? my redfoots love to eat clovers and dandylion weeds. and it looks like you have nack for cage building, very nice! a baby redfoot could live in tha for a handfull of years.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:36 AM   #7
jenn_jeffery
Oh no, I'm no good at building!! I bought this from Clay Davenport awhile back...HE'S the one with a knack for building!!

I haven't really decided what all to grow--I'd prob. try some succulents (prickly pears) and various other things.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!