Hatchling terrapin - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #11
yeeyee
hers a few more
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #12
yeeyee
I'd like to add that there normally is netting on the tank. I have tried to give him a mealworm and hatchling turtle pellets, he did not want it. I will try to get crabs or shrimp, I heard they like it

Old 06-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #13
man5000000
Way too much water. There's a high drowning risk for him with that much
I would change the water height to around 6 inches and add a proper basking light/uvb.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:06 PM   #14
yeeyee
Ok, I will lower the water level to 6 in. He is kept outside, I don't think he needs a UVB or basking bulb. He definitely receives UVB from the sun and gets to bask naturally under the sun. Anything I can do about his buoyancy problems?

Old 06-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #15
yeeyee
Update: I noticed he was having trouble with the ramp, so I fixed the ramp. I dropped water level. He is now diving around and swimming almost normally. He ate a piece of shrimp. He is doing better with buoyancy and is diving frequently. I still do not know what to do about the swelling around his front legs. It seems buoyancy problem resolved itself. He4 is slightly tilted to one side while swimming and I do not know if that's a sign of respiratory problems. Should I buy antibiotics?

Old 06-08-2021, 10:06 AM   #16
man5000000
I wouldn't self dose antibiotics. Maybe a local exotics vet? Or a post on a terrapin specific forum?
Glad to hear he appears to be doing better.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #17
Tim Cole
What is the water temperature?

I have seen turtles float when the water temp is colder than what they need.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #18
yeeyee
He is now swimming and acting and feeding completely fine. He has no more tilt he is swimming and feeding and not floating at all and being totally normal other than maybe still being at the surface frequently and trying to swim out of the tank. He is being kept outdoors water temperature is 82-86

Old 06-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #19
yeeyee
The swelling on his legs is much reduced and he’s almost completely normal now. I probably overreacted when i first got him and he was still confused and acclimating

Old 06-08-2021, 11:57 AM   #20
Tim Cole
Good to hear.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!