Bit by reptile in pet shop, he sues for $5M - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
Clay Davenport
Bit by reptile in pet shop, he sues for $5M

A St. James carpenter who filed a $5 million lawsuit against the pet store where an exotic lizard attacked him, causing a blood infection, insists there is no bad blood between him and the store.

"The lawsuit has nothing to do with friendship or the shop - it has to do with an injury," said Harry Bloechle, who was bitten on the thumb repeatedly Dec. 21 by a 15-inch female Timor Monitor lizard at the Reptile Center in Centereach.

The suit claims the store was negligent, provided inadequate supervision of the handling of the animal, and did not provide gloves or a muzzle.

"I still don't have full use of my finger," Bloechle said, adding that the pain in his hand inhibits his work. "It's hard to work a power saw if you can't press the button down."

Before the infection, Bloechle owned 17 exotic pets of his own, including two Monitor lizards. "I've never been bit by any of my own," he said.

Because he is prone to infection, on doctor's orders, he unloaded all 17 - at the very place he's suing. It's one of the only stores in the area specializing in rare snakes, lizards and amphibians.

Though the lawsuit accuses the store of "hiring incompetent personnel," and Bloechle said the clerks were "goofing around" when he came in, he admitted the clerks were typically experienced.

The Reptile Center's Internet Web site reads, "Our staff has over 60 years combined experience," and "We have only mature people working for our company."

The Monitor, the breed of lizard that snacked on Bloechle's thumb, typically prefers pinkies. But not the human kind; pinkies is lingo for hairless baby mice, which the shop sells frozen.

On the day Bloechle was bitten, he spotted the 15-inch female lizard skittering in her terrarium near the front of the pet store.

"I'm always in the market for an animal," he said. "They said, 'Check this one out, it doesn't bite.'"

"When you're told it doesn't bite, you handle it in a different manner," he added.

But that's when the mini-monster, which comes from the same family as the Komodo dragon, attacked his thumb.

"He readjusted his bite, so he really got the bacteria in the finger," Bloechle said.

Bloechle stuck the lizard's head in a murky turtle tank nearby, and the reptile released its jaws.

The Monitor lizard, a slight and shy, brown-spotted thing, is still for sale at the shop - for $150.

Bloechle neither rushed to a hospital nor visited a doctor following the bite. Until his hand "looked like a baseball mitt" on Dec. 26, he didn't realize how bad it was.

A clerk at the pet shop this week aired doubts of Bloechle's account, but he refused to comment further for this story, citing the lawsuit. The shop's owners did not return calls seeking comment.

Link

Old 02-21-2006, 02:20 AM   #2
Matt Haines
I use to visit that shop sometimes. There wasn't anything particularly interesting or rarely seen there. I think if the guy wins his suit it will be interesting to see where the money comes from. They aren't exactly a hoppin' place.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:34 AM   #3
reptilebreeder
The guy supposedly has experience with these kinds of animals. If that is the case, he knows the ultimate responsibility lies in his hands. (literally this time) it doesn't matter what some clerk told him, especially if he knew they were inexperienced. Anytime I ask or someone asks me if something bites, I always point out that it "has teeth so it bites". period. Not only that he says it's "nothing personal, it's just I'm injured" fine, but $5 million? Give me a break. Lastly, apparently he gets infestions easily. That should not be anybody's "fault".

Old 02-21-2006, 04:52 AM   #4
Cat_72
He probably didn't go to a doctor hoping it would get infected and "dramatic" looking enough to sue. He KNEW he was prone to infections, he had gotten rid of his own animals for that very reason, yet he was "in the market" for another one?

At least he didn't put that thumb in someone's chili first.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:48 AM   #5
nikita04
Everyone knows that even if someone tells you that a particular animals doesn't bite, that only means that it has not bitten any one yet not that it will never bite, and with that guy being a experienced reptile owner he should have known that. It's people like that guy who is going to make purchasing or even owning a reptile hard. Every reptile owner I know has been bitten. No matter how careful you are there is always that chance of getting bit.

Lawrence

Old 02-21-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
starwarsdad
Dunking it in a turtle tank..... Could that be the root of the infection??? What an idiot!

Old 02-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
Traci1
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsdad
Dunking it in a turtle tank..... Could that be the root of the infection??? What an idiot!
good point. I really hope this guy loses his case! $5 million is absurd!

Old 02-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #8
Junkyard
$5 million might have worked if he was at PetCo. There must also be something else going on, he did give the store he is suing all his animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!