Karma Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
scaledverts
Karma Question

Can someone (perhaps a mod) tell me if there is a way to add positive karma without linking it to a specific post? A fellow member helped me out and I want to thank him with some good karma. However, there is no specific post to add karma to. Or is the point academic anyway really?

Thanks,

Kyle

Old 03-12-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
polasian
I think you can only give out Karma via someones post. If the recipient of your intended Karma has posted on this site...then you can track down his posts by...

- going to his User Profile page
- click on Statistics
- click on Find all posts by XXX
- click on any of his posts and send him some Karma

However, you currently have no rep power. So if you give him Karma now...he'll have nothing to show for it. You must reach 100 posts, and have been already given Karma (which you have been) to gain at least 1 rep point. If I were you, I'd hold off until you reach 100 posts prior to sending him Karma.

You said this individual has yet to post? If so, then maybe he will prior to you reaching 100 . At which point, send some love his way

Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
scaledverts
Thanks for the reply and info. I have read about the karma system but am still working out the details of how it works.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
hhmoore
It's basically a means of giving feedback...now that negative karma has been disabled (due to past abuses), it is a way of saying That was a really good post, That was funny as hell, That helped a lot, I wish I had the to say that, etc.

The numbers reflect both post count and the karma received - I can't explain how they are bent and twisted to reflect as karma power

The point really is academic, as nobody will know except you (and maybe that person), but it is nice to receive feedback. IMO, its the thought that counts, and the benefit of waiting until you hit 100 posts is negligible.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
scaledverts
Thanks Harald!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
polasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaledverts View Post
Thanks for the reply and info. I have read about the karma system but am still working out the details of how it works.
I didn't how Karma works either, until I recently helped friends set up a forum. I played around with that forums' Reputation System, and I think the following is how it works for FC...

Karma is the amount of rep points that a user has received from others (Green boxes that are visible under your name)
Reputation power A.K.A. Karma-altering power is the amount of Karma points that a user can give out to others.

- For every 100 Karma points (up until 500 Karma points) that a user receives, they get credited 1 additional green box. After that they will need to receive 200 Karma points for each additional green box to appear. For example...if you receive 500 Karma points, you will have 6 green boxes (this includes that initial default box that all users have). Upon receiving 700 Karma points, you will have 7 green boxes, etc... Now, sometime after that (when you receive 1,500 Karma points) you will not gain anymore additional green boxes. The most green boxes that one can have is 11.

- To gain the initial 1 rep point a user must have at least 100 posts and have been given at least 1 Karma point from someone.

- After that, for every 100 Karma points that a user receives, they get credited with 1 rep point.

- Every 365 days, users gain 1 rep point.

- For every 500 posts, users gain 1 rep point.

Lets take Harald, for example...

1,800 Karma points - 18 rep power
(With 1,800 Karma points he has 11 green boxes. 6 of those boxes appeared when he was given 500 Karma points. 5 of those green boxes appeared when he was given an additional 1,000 Karma points)

10,500 posts - 21 rep power

Has been a member since 04' - 6 rep power

So...Harald should have about 45 rep power. If he hits you up with Karma...you will receive 45 Karma points. Anyway, I think that's how it works, and I hope I made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
The point really is academic, as nobody will know except you (and maybe that person), but it is nice to receive feedback. IMO, its the thought that counts, and the benefit of waiting until you hit 100 posts is negligible.
I agree, however the OP seems very appreciative of whatever help he received from that individual. I assumed he already thanked him privately and now wants him to be acknowledged publicly via some Karma points. That's why (in this particular case) I recommended he wait until he gets at least 1 rep point prior to dishing out Karma.

Having said that, yes, Harald is right...if a post strikes a cord with you, Karma is a way of giving a pat-on-the-back, and its the thought that counts .

Old 03-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by polasian View Post
So...Harald should have about 45 rep power.
Hey - the karma power isn't showing anymore - it was just a couple weeks ago. I don't know exactly what mine is, Nick, but that sounds about right.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Hey - the karma power isn't showing anymore - it was just a couple weeks ago. I don't know exactly what mine is, Nick, but that sounds about right.
Yeah, I removed it a while back. It takes a substantial amount of processing power to calculate that value for each displayed member's post, so I decided to try to reduce load (and increase throughput in general) on the server.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
RedTailedDexter
great post! so basically (well part of it) if someone with high rep gives you rep. One will gain more rep points than say from someone who has a low reputation??

Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTailedDexter View Post
great post! so basically (well part of it) if someone with high rep gives you rep. One will gain more rep points than say from someone who has a low reputation??
yes ma'am. if someone with full green dots (like polasian) were to give you rep, youd get more rep points from someone with only 1-2 green dots. (99% of the time) dont want to confuse you TOO much, but you also get rep power from the amount of posts you make. so if Harald only had his 12k posts and NONE of the karma he has now (say as many dots as you) he would still give you a rather large amount of rep.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!