Billions of cicadas may be coming soon to trees near you - 2021 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 03-23-2021, 12:16 AM   #1
WebSlave
Billions of cicadas may be coming soon to trees near you - 2021

https://earthsky.org/earth/17-year-cicadas-broodx-2021

This article doesn't seem to mention one negative aspect of this periodic invasion, in that lots of small branches in trees can be killed by these insects. For smaller trees, this could be quite catastrophic to them if most of the branches die off from a heavy infestation.

Old 03-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
bcr229
I guess this isn't the year to transplant baby trees to my property then.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
WebSlave
Yeah, I would hold off on that. Unless you can protect them somehow with netting or something.

I can remember as a kid living in Maryland when the cicadas were absolutely everywhere. The noise they made was nearly deafening. I don't believe this infestation is supposed to affect northern Florida, at least this time. We have seen the empty shells of cicadas here and there on trees about every year, and seen a few flying about, but never been a large infestation of them in the 30 years we have been living here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!