New Computer with some ZING... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 06-20-2004, 06:49 PM   #11
Glenn Bartley
I am not one to tinker a lot inside of a computer, so that is why I chose a Dell with 3 years tech support. I know I could build one myself, and I do it fairly easily, although not painlessly. I have that temper thing especially when doing something I am unfamiliar with and when little stuff goes wrong the PC could wind up on the trash heap. As long as I have someone to guide me through it all, I am usually ok - so long as the tech guy knows of what he speaks. When they don't know, it is really frustrating.

As for the specific problems they are legion! The first thing I noticed was that I was no longer able to edit my AOL homepage using the AOL editing software. Of course Dell said this was an AOL problem but I think not. I reinstalled all my AOL software and it still did not work. I contacted AOL and they said no one else had reported such a problem. They had me do quite a few things to my AOL software to make sure it was ok, but none of that worked. I then hooked up the old PC and there it was a fully functioning Easy Designer but only when I use my old Micron or another PC - not when using the new Dell. I thought it may have been the Norton Internet Security software, but I disabled it and still no go. Then Dell had me reinstall Java, and it half worked, I could now pull up the web page for editing but no key strokes on the keyboard registered when I tried to edit the page. I could delete things or cut and paste using the mouse but not when using my keyboard. The Dell tech said to me, ah wonderful we fixed it! Go figure. This problem persists.

Another problem is that if I am on a site like fauna, and am typing in a post and then cut everything with the mouse, then open Word, and then try to paste to word - well there is nothing in the clipboard. If on the other hand I am typing in a post, open Word first before cutting text out of the post, and then try to paste it to word it works. This has never happened on any other computer I have used. What is happening is that if I cut first before opening Word, when I open word it wipes out whatever has been put into the clipboard.

Then there was the hard drive making clicking noises continuously - not anything normal I can assure you of that, I am not completely computer illiterate. This sounded much like a bad drive I had had in the past that needed changing on my Micron a couple of years ago. The thing is it did this once or twice and has stopped. When I tried to get the PC to reboot there were a few different error messages (fatal Exception, and so forth) that came up after these noises. It took many attempts to get it to reboot, but now does so ok.

There was and still is intermittently the warp drive sound, sort of a super high revving engine noise that comes from the case. I thought this may have been a fan at first, but it happens when the PC is cold, so it is not an additional fan or a fan speeding up because the board is hot. I wonder if it is a drive. Never heard anything like it in any PC before.

I also get a constant buzz from my speakers. No interference around them. Tried all the Dell suggestions to no avail. My old speakers never did this (and they were in virtually the same spots as are the new ones) nor do the ones on my daughter's PC.

I also sometimes get a message that says new hardware detected when no new hardware has been added.

For a while there, internet explorer was resetting to a customized security setting each time I went on line. Also with IE, if post this post right now, then close the window before it comes up with the new window saying my post has gone through, I get about 60 to 70 IE windows that open with nothing in them. Freaky. All my IE and Windows XP updates are installed from the MS website. All critical updates have also been installed.

The monitor is fuzzy, and not the fonts but everything. This is also intermittent.

Today was the latest problem, the floppy drive started to run, without a disk in it and just kept going. It too may a fairly high pitched whine as if running on overdrive. I had to shut down the PC by cutting power at the surge suppressor to turn off the PC because while it was running none of the controls for the PC were functioning.

There are also numerous other things, I would have to look at each of the emails I have sent to Dell over the last 2 or 3 weeks to remember them all.

There are no viruses or worms. My PC virus definitions are up to date. I ran multiple virus scans. I have internet security set up too.

I reinstalled Java as Dell told me.

I also did a system restore and that helped little if any.

They then said they might reinstall Windows XP, but when they heard about the noises they said they would replace the hard drive, that is until I said OK at which time they balked.

I have added very few programs to this PC other than how it came from Dell. I added an Epson printer and its drivers, as I have done often enough to know it was done right. I added Ad-Aware software and one game. There is nothing on the PC to screw it up that has been added after I received it. I give up and back it goes, since it seems as if one problem after another comes up, and the original ones have not yet been solved.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:23 PM   #12
Pug
Perhaps you should look into a hardware forum, something like http://forums.anandtech.com/ and ask in their tech support section. They seem to be friendly and have many knowledgable people onboard most of the time. It might be worthwhile to ask in many technical forums for possible answers as well. I'm sure, at least, some one has encountered a problem like this before.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:49 AM   #13
Glenn Bartley
Thanks but there seem to be so many things wrong with this aprticular machine that I willr eturn it. I may order the same thing again, with hopes of getting one that is working right, or I may go back to Micron, but for now this one will soon be going back.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 06-22-2004, 08:05 AM   #14
Gordon c. Snelling
Good luck Glenn, I just built a new machine and know how frustrating these issues can be. My daughter has a Dell her mother bought her and has had the same tech suppost issues, mostly centering around her CD burner. If not for the hard drive noises I would just suggest a full reformat of your HD and an install of windows 2000 rather than XP. 2000 seems to be the most stable of all windows incarnations..

Old 06-22-2004, 04:14 PM   #15
Pug
I really think it depends on who's using it. My current XP install is the most stable long term OS run I've ever used. It's been on here for a little less than a year. On a friends reccomendation I did try Windows 2000. That OS is NOT for me, it screwed up over and over over little things I thought I knew how to fix. Anyway, I'm working on getting Red Hat Linux installed so I can teach myself how to use an open source OS, for some community service work I plan on jumping into and because I want to explore the world w/out Wondows

Old 07-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #16
lizzardcomputer
Dude it is not a Dell

This is my machine you think you got problems try adding near freezing water to it.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:20 PM   #17
Pug
I'm using striaght water on mine with an Aqua Computer (www.Aquacomputer.de) set-up. I had a p3 with a TEC on it, but I recently pulled it and have decided to go with water. I don't like having to insulate everything, and I hate worrying about condensation.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:28 PM   #18
lizzardcomputer
Lanmower

Yea Im building one now that is TEC. I'm making one out of a lawn mower now. I go to alot of LAN parties and dont want to carry the case. I'm calling it a LAN mower. Iwill be taking it to a LAN party called QUAKECON.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:59 PM   #19
Pug
When you're at Quake Con, stop by SNT systems booth.

Old 07-15-2004, 06:15 PM   #20
lizzardcomputer
Thumbs up

Cool see ya there

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!