I desperately need help constructing a "DIY" retic cage!!! (story inside) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
swartzy5956
I desperately need help constructing a "DIY" retic cage!!! (story inside)

Hey, everybody! I won't beat around the bush, so here's my story/situation...

I've own snakes for close to a decade now. Starting out for the first 4-6 years, I owned almost exclusively carpet pythons. I also owned a few other kinds of snakes, including colubrids, boas, etc... Well a few years ago, I was at Hamburg and saw a trio of tiger retics for sale. I kept passing by the booth and finally, with about 5 minutes left in the show, I purchased a female... I was apprehensive because I had always heard stories that retics were "SO MEAN" and how they were "TERRIBLE PETS"... Let's just say, boy am I glad I didn't listen to that shit because I loved that little retic so much and it was all downhill from there... I sold all of my lizards that I had, basically all but 2 of my carpets, and started learning all I could about retics: their genetics, behavioral tendencies, feeding habits, etc. I knew how big they got, and while that might turn some away, I say the bigger the better! I'm 6'6, 330 lbs; I don't want a little snake! Anyways, I was already dead-set that I was going to become a retic breeder. While I had a job right out of college to support my retic addiction, I hit a bunch of snags in the road...
I just got a really great job at the start of November 2014 as a lab supervisor at a huge chemical plant, but unfortunately, I was unemployed for close to 6 months, which means I'm trying to dig my way out of debt and pay off bills... So here's my question: For someone on an extremely tight budget, what's a good way to make my own cages? What materials and necessities do I need to use to make it safe for the animal, strong and sturdy, as safe as possible against fires, and lastly, secure? I'm not very handy, but every kind of power tool you can think of. Can anyone give me options on what to need/use and lay it out how to do it, briefly?

Thanks Everybody!!!

--swartzy

Old 12-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
NocturnalNature
Unfortunately, unless you have access to low cost lumber you aren't going to save as much money as you would have in years past. The ABS cage market has become very competitive, and has for the most part, negated the need to build heavy, wooden cages.
If I were in your shoes I would utilize storage boxes for the smaller specimens in your collection and buy cages from one of the numerous reputable dealers as money allows.
Here is a box I have found to be quite effective at housing younger pythons and boas.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_579877-62860...uctId=50150118

Notice it has latches on all four sides, so the lid is quite secure, compared to other models.
Another option is a rack system. You tend to get more bang for your buck, meaning you can house more animals in one rack that costs very close to one or two enclosures. The downside is you lose visibility, so it's a trade off you need to consider.
Best of luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!