Seeking advice on bumps appearing on my gecko's jaw - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
inignot557
Seeking advice on bumps appearing on my gecko's jaw

My female gecko has these reocurring bumps on her lower jaw, they don't appear to be open sores. The first one that appeared was on the right part of her jaw towards the back on the outer part, swelled, then just recently the swelling is going down. Yet another just appeared on the left side, just puzzled as to what this may be. Any advice will be appreciated.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
esoteric-lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by inignot557
My female gecko has these reocurring bumps on her lower jaw, they don't appear to be open sores. The first one that appeared was on the right part of her jaw towards the back on the outer part, swelled, then just recently the swelling is going down. Yet another just appeared on the left side, just puzzled as to what this may be. Any advice will be appreciated.
how old is the gecko?

what is its diet?

are the bumps on the inside or outside of the jaw? soes the bump pmove when you touch it? does it feel like its connected to the bone in any way?

is the bump located by any joints?

any discoloration?

how has her diet been? how about her bodily functions?

is she active?

Old 04-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
inignot557
She is about a year and four months old. She eats a few gutloaded dusted crickets every other day. They are outside of the jaw, no they do not move, It doesn't feel like its connected to the bone. Its located towards the back of the jaw where the top and bottom meet. Its not really discolored, maybe a little red. She is as active as she has always been. She recently broke her tail and it looks like her fat reserves are a little low, but I have been awaiting another shipment of crickets so as soon as they arrive I will fix that problem. She has been having this bump problem before the tail fracture though.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
esoteric-lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by inignot557
They are outside of the jaw, no they do not move, It doesn't feel like its connected to the bone. Its located towards the back of the jaw where the top and bottom meet. Its not really discolored, maybe a little red. She is as active as she has always been. She recently broke her tail and it looks like her fat reserves are a little low, but I have been awaiting another shipment of crickets so as soon as they arrive I will fix that problem. She has been having this bump problem before the tail fracture though.
my best guess would be that it is either a ganglion cyst or some kind of synovial cyst.

these kind of cysts usually pop up around a joint. they really are nothing to worry about... unless its too painful and your gecko cant eat.

i really dont know of anything that could get rid of it... i had a ganglion in my wrist, it would only get inflammed when i lifted weights. then it dissapeared once i stopped lifting.

good luck with her!!

Old 04-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
mrwenninger
Have a veterinarian aspirate the lumps. Although cysts are possible it is much more likely to be abscesses. Masses can be neoplasia, cysts, abscesses, granulomas/mycetomas, parasites, foreign bodies, etc.
Michael Wenninger DVM

Old 01-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
liza07
I have a baby nile monitor, it was jumping,climbing,swimming and digging and then I notice his one front leg was very swollen. now I see a bump under his jaw. he has not eaten in at a month and is very, very weak. can anyone help ???
maria6673@comcast.net

Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

I agree. The best course of action at the moment is to get it aspirated & cultured to see what it could possibly be. The most common ailments are abscesses, & or cysts. The culture normally takes around 5-7 days.
If it is filled with blood or pus, infection will set in if it hasn't already.
Could you possibly post a picture, just to see?
Did your gecko injure himself? Are you supplementing calcium? Are you leaving live feeders in with him overnight that could possibly bite him?
I hope that he gets better soon. If he is not eating, you could try to assist feed him with some turkey babyfood & mix the calcium in with that too.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!