Breeding Florida (Brooks) Kings - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
Isis Reptiles
Question Breeding Florida (Brooks) Kings

I've been breeding Florida (Brooks) Kings for about 15 years now. I've always monitored them when they are together and separate them after I've observed copulation. This method works well, but since Brooks often don't copulate right away like some other Kings do, it can be time consuming to have to keep placing them together and observing them until copulation takes place. I've observed that if they are not interested in breeding they will tend to retreat to different corners of the enclosure and and ignore one another. I've only observed any aggression (one trying to coil the other) between Florida Kings once or twice in the years I've bred them. They don't seem to have the cannabalistic tendencies of some other kings.

That said, I've given some thought to leaving them together until the female becomes gravid. I do this with my Milks and did this with my Mountain Kings when I used to work with them.

Anyone had any experience doing this?

Thanks for any input.

Isis Madec
Isis Reptiles

Old 03-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
aaron sullivan
that is exactly what i do. i put the male in with the female and don't take him out except to feed them. i can remember once that the female grabbed and coiled up the male, and it was when i put him in with her. easy fix.

i don't take him out until i know she is gravid and going to lay soon.

i keep them well fed so hunger doesn't play a part. although they would eat daily if i let them.

good luck this season!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!