Safety Questions - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-03-2007, 02:43 AM   #11
JohnG1122
thanks for the advice and input.
the burm my friend has is still small only about 3 ft maybe a lil more but just out of curiousity how fast do they grow. Like in a yr is this thing going to be 10 feet or somethin thats what i have heard about retics that they will grow up to 10 ft in their first year. once again jus curious. thanks

Old 10-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #12
hhmoore
4-6 ft at a year is not uncommon.
males typically at 6-8ft, females 9-12 at around 2.5 yrs (breeding season)...of course, individual factors such as temperatures, and feeding practices can greatly skew things in either direction.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #13
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
The pail of water, LOL, is about as much good as spitting into the wind and not and expecting to stay dry.

Alcohol almost always works, ALMOST being the key word there. Stabbing the snake may make it let go but is more likely to make it squeeze tighter so that whatever is stabbing it will stop.

Holding it's head underwater is a WONDERFUL idea, especially if you're all wrapped up while you're doing it. Afterall, the snake isn't the only one who can hold its breath more than 20 minutes, is it?

snakelover, have you ever owned a large constrictor?
The reason i mentioned the bucket of water is simply because it worked for me on a large burm. I didn't actually USE a bucket becaue i was closer to the bathroom. Running the cold water tap over the burms head worked for me. Has anyone else tried it?

Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #14
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
The pail of water, LOL, is about as much good as spitting into the wind and not and expecting to stay dry.

Alcohol almost always works, ALMOST being the key word there. Stabbing the snake may make it let go but is more likely to make it squeeze tighter so that whatever is stabbing it will stop.

Holding it's head underwater is a WONDERFUL idea, especially if you're all wrapped up while you're doing it. Afterall, the snake isn't the only one who can hold its breath more than 20 minutes, is it?

snakelover, have you ever owned a large constrictor?
I forgot to answer your last question. Yes. i've had two burms, two boas, 1 yellow anaconda and i now own several carpets.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
fuscusking13
I know I am dragging this up a bit, I have been too busy to be on here lately. Anyways I have tried the water thing before and it did not work, not in the least. The only thing that happened in both cases was tighter constriction. I was only trying it to see if it worked as both snakes were under 8 feet, so no big deal. The rock python really took offense and ripped my finger up when I tried it, whereas the retic just locked down hard. The safest thing to do is dont get bit . Good luck, Dan M.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #16
snakewrangler
Whatever happened to using python hooks?

Old 10-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #17
hhmoore
not of much use once they bite you, lol

Old 10-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #18
reddog4063
I suppose you could repeated bludgeon them with the hook.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #19
fuscusking13
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog4063
I suppose you could repeated bludgeon them with the hook.

You might live to see another day doing this to a burm, but I think a Rock or Retic would take some severe offense to such an action leaving you wishing you had not done it(and probably making you wish you hadnt done it the next 30 times you went in the cage until you finally put up an ad for a tame retic with a picture of it in its cage, locked and from 10 feet away lol). A great idea however, gave me a good laugh! Take care, Dan M.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #20
drake1322
im sorry to but in with your guyses conversation but i do not think i woud even try and hit the snake that is twice you size probaly your weight or more and more muscle then you could wish you had. i would be extreamly careful and have 3 or 4 others to help you. and how would you get up and run to the bathroom and turn on the shower if yor getting strangled by a 15 foot snake that ways 100 or more. da. all im saying is its pointless to try and stop it from trying to kill you its there instincts thats how a snake is it could be super tame and still try to eat you if its hungry or if you p it off snakes do not think before they act.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!