breeding rosy boas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-05-2004, 06:04 PM   #1
snakekid13
breeding rosy boas

I have a 03 san felipe rosy boa he's about nine months old and about 20 inches long i was just wondering what the adequate weight and length is for both female and male rosy boas. im kinda new to the smaller constrictors and would like to know more about them thanks.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
Newt
With the small constrictors of that group I would use the rough age of 1.5 - 2 years for males and 3 years for females. From 2 - 3 years of age the rosy boas will start to put on adult weight and female should be allowed to do this in order for you to keep them healthy and breeding a long time. Rosy boas are also in most repects handled and breed the same way kings and corns are breed. You will need to give them a slight brumation period and that will help alot in breeding. That is why I say give them a little more time to put on weight so they can go through that with no ill effects. These are just suggestions and dont have to be followed to a tee but should work well for you.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-09-2004, 11:23 PM   #3
Sand&SunReptile
Yes,
the female having very good body weight, to sustain breeding. If you want the best of breeders, I'd hold off on the female breeding until she was maybe 3.5-4years old, and the male 2.5-3years.
I would love to see how you do with these guys.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:23 PM   #4
Stevefromsd
Is it OK to breed Rosys every year?

Old 10-14-2004, 07:08 AM   #5
Sand&SunReptile
If they retain healthy body weight, and they are the same size, better yet even a tad heavier then the last season then she is fine to breed.
I'd personally never breed after a particularly large litter, because it probably took a lot of the female, and took a lot of energy. Also, I'd give her a year off after her first season, and every couple of seasons give her a break.
They cant breed yer after year after year, and be healthy. Well they can, but they wont live as long, and it can become very stressful.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!