Do I need both a UTH and a heat lamp ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #1
denman
Do I need both a UTH and a heat lamp ?

I have 2 snakes. A Hog Island boa cross, and a Spotted python. I'm having a problem with heating. I have UTH for both enclosures - but I don't think they are really effective - and they are on Thermostats. I also have heating bulbs, but they also emit light. Should I just use a CHE instead and eliminate the UTH ?

Old 12-01-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
Socratic Monologue
CHEs work, either with or without the heat pad, as needed. Radiant heat panels are also a good option, especially in enclosures where the heat element needs to be inside.

Heating fish tanks for reptile use is a miserable project sometimes, as you're discovering. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
denman
Yes, the Boa is in the glass tank, and the new Spotted Python 4-month old is in a plastic tub. I have to admit that "heating" is the most challenging aspect of husbandry and it's a PIA.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
Socratic Monologue
If you can, consider PVC enclosures for a long term solution. I really like Animal Plastics enclosures for snakes that aren't appropriately kept in tubs in racks (enclosed racks are another good option, as they hold heat well). Plan ahead, as the turnaround time on these enclosures was running around 6 months.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #5
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
If you can, consider PVC enclosures for a long term solution. I really like Animal Plastics enclosures for snakes that aren't appropriately kept in tubs in racks (enclosed racks are another good option, as they hold heat well). Plan ahead, as the turnaround time on these enclosures was running around 6 months.
I agree. Herptastic is another option; both vendors sell excellent enclosures.

It's a long shot but also keep an eye on Craigslist and NJ-specific reptile groups on Facebook, as you can find used enclosures for sale locally. If you have cash and a truck you can score some nice deals.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #6
denman
PVC Enclosures are nice and Animal Plastics has very nice stuff, but my little Spotted python is way to small to consider that at this time. My Hog Island boa cross is in a 20L glass tank with screen lid. Personally I am not a fan of UTH, as I just don't think they are very effective at all. I have much better luck with overhead Heat lamps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!