air freshners - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
ms_ramie22
Question air freshners

I am wondering if anyone has ever used any kind of air freshners in their reptile rooms? I'm not as lucky as some to have a basement so my reptile room is right off my livingroom and sometimes my blue tongues can get real smelly when they poop!! I know a person does not want to be spraying any kind of chemicals but I was wondering about those-- I think they are air wick freshners that are cone shaped and you pull up on the plastic cover and they have a sort of gel that dries up after time. I forget what they are called, I hope you can figure out what I'm talking about, and I was wondering if that would be safe to put in that room. It's not being sprayed, just lingering, say by the door......

Old 06-26-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
geckoeye
I think it should be fine, as long as you don't use a spray freshner directly on or in a cage, it should be ok.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
ms_ramie22
yup

that's my thought, too.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
critical bill
I'm using a "Living Air" clean air filtration system in my herp room for about a year now. It pumps out enough ozone for 2200 sq ft. I picked mine up used on ebay for about $150, but also bought a new one for $300 to do my house. They are fantastic units and worth the money.

Ozone, in my opinion, is the way to go. Air fresheners mask odors, ozone kills odors. Besides, it really wont be long before your nose will get used to the air freshener.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #5
Nero557
I have used those exact cone shaped air fresheners in my room without a problem. Not my personal choice as they aren't very strong, but my mother buys them at random and just sticks them in my room... I personally would like to try ozone, because i keep hearing good things.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:08 AM   #6
hhmoore
I tried one of the ozone units back when we had the shop. My animals were kept in a large finished room in the basement, and I brought the machine home on a trial. It seemed to work ok in the room itself but, for whatever reason, the living room and master bedroom started to smell instead (no, there were no floor vents). Needless to say, that was the end of that. I didn't mind opening the door to the animal room and thinking ok, who s**t? or which one didn't eat their rat, but walking in the front door and getting hit with those smells was unacceptable.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
nicolai
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
I didn't mind opening the door to the animal room and thinking ok, who s**t? or which one didn't eat their rat

i think that is something that every reptile owner in the world has said to him/her self many times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
DeeSWR
We actually have one of those plug-in warming oil types across the hall from our herp room. It doesn't eliminate the odor, but it definitely helps.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #9
nicolai
I have a ceiling mounted air cleaner that i took out of a bar when they were remodeling, it has the hepa filters and does a good job. they have then on ebay pretty cheap.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:16 PM   #10
ms_ramie22
thanks

thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna check out ebay and see whats available in the ozone systems. They should help with allergies to dust and molds and such, too, huh? That would work out great around here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!