Please Help Me!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-13-2003, 01:01 PM   #1
(hed)420
Unhappy Please Help Me!!!

I found my veild chameleon in very (dangeresly) bad shape today. I found him on the floor. He is very skinny and dihidrated. I also noticed that his back leg looks weird. I think it's broken. It's just hanging there. I tried moving it and i noticed he can still move his toes and bend his knee a little bit. but he trys to walk on it and he just stumbles. I don't know what to do. I know if i call a vet ,he's just gonna tell me to bring him in. But i'm broke and don't have a job. So im completely lost. I figured i only have a few choices:
1)Put him to sleep (the vet also charges to kill my baby, so it will have to be some other sort of death )
2) give him away (maybe the vet might take him)
I still love him and don't wanna give him up but i don't got any money to pay for surgery. So i need to find a nice enough person to take care of him for me untill i save up enough money to pay them back ,or find a vet that could help him in anyway. I don't don't know what to do.
Should i call the humain society?
Give him up for adoption?
Put him to sleep?
ANY suggestions will be helpful.
Sum1 please respond a.s.a.p.
I can be contacted at leoslizards@yahoo.com
or just post here.
hmmm.....
I should keep him from trying to walk around right?
Should i tape his leg up in the mean while?

thanks for your help

Leo 11/13/03 1:00pm Eastern time

Old 01-21-2004, 06:55 PM   #2
MGReptiles
Thats kind of a tough call, I have never heard of a vet doing surgery for broken bones...Do they?? If you think it is bad enough and he will be messed up for life I would put him down yourself. Put him in the freezer and he will not fill a thing, hell just goto sleep...Sorry for your probs ...

Old 01-27-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
MystycalJywyl
The Best thing you could do for the dehydration is to get to a petstore and get a product (Not usually expensive) called JUMPSTART. It is a supplement for reptiles who are not eating well and an appetite stimulant. Feed your crickets Orange slices so that he gets plenty of Vitamin C through eating them. Also you might want to alter your heating level to a bit lower and increase your humidity. I am in no way a vet but I do have lots of experience with all types of reptiles due to our petstore in ATL. Ga. http://www.tropicalfishatlanta.com Tropical Fish Atlanta Pet Center. I work only with the reptiles and mammals.
Hope my suggestions help!?!

Old 01-27-2004, 02:09 PM   #4
Seamus Haley
Er...

Don't use Jumpstart on anything. Ever. It's absolute garbage as a product, it will not cure dehydration, it will not cure nutritional imbalances and it's not even really useful as a supplement for healthy animals. It's a tube of brown corn syrup for the most part.

I suppose if you wanted to add a topping to a cupcake, it might have some kind of use, but for herps it's simply a waste of money and a waste of time.

Old 01-30-2004, 04:50 PM   #5
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
I found my veild chameleon in very (dangeresly) bad shape today. I found him on the floor. He is very skinny and dihidrated. I also noticed that his back leg looks weird. I think it's broken. It's just hanging there. I tried moving it and i noticed he can still move his toes and bend his knee a little bit. but he trys to walk on it and he just stumbles. I don't know what to do. I know if i call a vet ,he's just gonna tell me to bring him in. But i'm broke and don't have a job. So im completely lost.
I highly doubt this all happened overnight. With even the worst neglect plan, a Veiled Cham takes quite some time to deteriorate to the point of irreversible MBD.

The only advice I have for you is to stop playing with animals until you have a job and are responsible enough to know when something is wrong.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!