Giant fishing spider egg case - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
Mcgarnagle
Giant fishing spider egg case

So about 5-6 months ago I bought a giant fishing spider (dolomedes okeefenokensis) and last week she laid and eggs case. She is Constantly guarding it and carries it around with her where ever she goes.
The problem is that she has been in captivity for a bare minimum of six months and she has not had any contact with a male.
Is there a chance that she mated and held on to the sperm for that long? Or is there a chance that they can have Virgin births like some frogs and lizards? Or do they just lay infertile egg sacs then guard them anyway.
Also does anybody know about how long it should take to hatch? I'd like to know so that if it doesn't hatch after a certain amount of time, i can take it away from her (which will be fun) so she doesn't spend so much energy guarding it.

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
JumpSpidersInc
Did she molt since she's been in your care?

If she has molted since her arrival, the sac is a "phantom sac" and is infertile.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:50 AM   #3
Mcgarnagle
Not that I know of. She definitely hasn't molted recently. Would she guard a "phantom sac"

Old 06-23-2016, 07:25 AM   #4
JumpSpidersInc
If she has not molted, then likely the sac is good. And yes, she would still carry a phantom sac.

I would let her carry it. Hatching time will vary, depending on her temps that she is kept at. I would guesstimate that if they have not hatched within a month, take it from her and carefully open and inspect the contents.

By that time, if the eggs are good, opening the sac should reveal well-developed slings.

BTW.... be prepared... there will be a lot of babies.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!