International Animal transport question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
ReptileJay
International Animal transport question

I'm not sure this is really the best place for this, but I figure it's better than most of the other areas I considered...

Anyway,
I have a friend that is going away to college in Sweden relatively soon, and wanted me to find out what the procedure for transporting a single pet ball python overseas with her would be. Since I have never done any import/export business, and have not moved outside of the US with animals in my lifetime (yet), I figured I'd check to see if anyone here had any insight as to whether or not it would even be possible...

Any information at all would be great, or even contact info on anyone that might know more...

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Ameivaboy
For a ball python you'd need to apply for CITES - which take minimum of 90 days to get approval for - then you're looking at a USDA stamp, USFW inspection, possibly a health cerificate (not sure on that one because we dont ship to sweden - some countries require it, some dont) along with the actual freight (around $250 minimum which is good for 2 boxes)
All in all - it's a lot of money,time and effort for a single snake.

Plus you have to be licensed to export - and know how to go about getting it done which... well frankly is not easy otherwise more people would be doing it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!