Number of hides - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-17-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
LindzS02
Number of hides

I'm going to be buying two leos (first time owner) and was just wondering if having 2 hides (one on cool and one on warmer side) and a shed box is ok or would it be better to get another hide since i have two leos?

Old 06-17-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
MatthewK
One on cool side, one on warm side, and a humid hide should be fine. Just make sure they can both fit into the hides just incase they have the same wants. I find plant basins to be very good hides, just flipped over with a hole cut in the side. For humid hides I use old cool-whip containers with holes cut in the top for females, and smaller plaster containers for younger animals.

Good luck! And show us some pics when you get em home! Leos are fun

Old 06-17-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
saltwaterreptiles
Congrats on getting a couple of leos!! Matthew was right on with his info on the hides. Just wanted to add that you shouild make sure of the sex of both leos you are getting. Two females are great, one male one female is great, but be aware they will breed, but no males is a no go, they will fight it out!!!

One other hide solution for a cheap fix that the leos, will mine when I used it anyway,seem to like is paper towel rolls!

Congrats again and be sure to post some pics when you get them home!

Old 06-17-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
Chris@TSE
He meant two males is a no go btw.....

Old 06-17-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
saltwaterreptiles
I did! I did mean two males are a no go....would you believe I reread that twice before I posted, yesh! Just noticed my will should read well as well.

Thats what I get when I try to fit a post in between calls at work

Old 06-17-2005, 08:07 PM   #6
Darkangel
I have been using the black plastic trays they use to pack and sell mushrooms in as hides. I just cut a hole in the side and it is done. They really seem to enjoy them and use them almost exclusively when not is the humid hide. The downside is you have to like mushrooms. LOL

Old 06-17-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
MatthewK
You can actually buy those trays from the produce or meat department if you ask most likely. Or contact Tremper and ask him where he purchases from, maybe someone wholesales them. I just wouldnt want to see crickets eat the styrofoam and then be eaten. Not saying I have seen it, just a thought. I am sure it should be okay if Alberto, Tremper, and of course our very own Dan uses them and havent said anything to us about them.

Old 06-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
LindzS02
Talking

thanks guys! all the suggestions have been helpful. i did make sure that they're two females because i'm not looking to breed and when doing my research on leos i saw that two males is a no go (i've been trying to learn as much as i can so they'll be happy and healthy leos).

i plan on using paper towels as the substrate because i read it's the safest, but i saw too that it's good to have a little dish of calcium in their tank. do you find this is a good idea? i got 2:0 calcium/no phosphorus thinking that would be good for in the tank. then i got reptivite to dust the insects with since it has vitamin d-3 and a whole bunch of others. on the container it says "for new animals, use every feeding. for established animals, use every other feeding". is that good advice? when do i consider them established? are there any other vitamins/supplements that i should be using and if so, how often?

the girls are coming the week after 4th of july, but i attached the pics from the seller. i'll be sure to post more when i get them =)
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
LindzS02
one more question. what would be good to use in the humid hide? i found this coconut fiber expandable substrate and also coconut bark substrate. are either of them good?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!