What happened to BOI???? - Page 22 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #211
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme-Geckos View Post
This is a fear tactic used by the site owner to get money for his retirement. This site would cost no more than a few hundred dollars a month to host. You could buy a server put it in a datacenter and host it for a very nominal amount. 1414 members would be over $35000 a year (That was only member that were online at once, Im sure he wants more than that as contributors). this site could be hosted for less than 6k per yer. PHP runs on a linux box this forum has a MySQL backend which is free. The cost of running this site is very nominal I can almost guarantee this site is currently very profitable. This is a scare tactic to get more money in this guys pocket. This guy threatening to take the BOI information away unless he is paid is as bad as some of the bad guy threads on the BOI IMHO. If you truley care about this BOI satying up and not the profit lets work something out I will put it on a dedicated server in a datacenter and host the site.
And by the way, bub, now that you have called yourself to my attention, I will need your REAL NAME if you wish to stay on this site, and especially to advertise in the classifieds. There are far too many scammer hiding behind anonymous logins and false registrations. If you want to be a smart ass and register with a name like "Full name" then go elsewhere.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #212
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
This guy threatening to take the BOI information away unless he is paid is as bad as some of the bad guy threads on the BOI IMHO.
If so, then take your ads down and hit the road, Dan. No need for you to make money off this site. Take your freeloading butt somewhere else. No need for a dramatic exit. Take care, goodbye.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #213
Extreme-Geckos
Im not going to get in a pissing match , I stated my opinion that is all it is. Nothing more nothing less.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #214
WebSlave
Quote:
Im not going to get in a pissing match , I stated my opinion that is all it is. Nothing more nothing less.
So, did you not read the entire thread, or did you just not understand the issue? Do you know what the term "legal liability" means? Do you have even a modest clue about the expenses I'm referring to? Server hosting is the least of my worries. And yes, I lease my own servers. And yes I pay both a programmer and a server management tech to help me out. I also pay for a third part DNS host and other various and sundry expenses. But they are all completely insignificant when it comes to the liability that the BOI exposes me to.

So sure, you are welcome to your opinion, but how about basing them on some real knowledge first? Might help you in the credibility department.

And since you have apparently read my reply about providing your full name, you've got about 5 minutes to comply or I delete your ads here and you along with it. I've go no interest to talk to anonymous trolls any longer.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #215
WebSlave
Your time is up bub.... Go play elsewhere...

Old 07-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #216
TripleMoonsExotic
ExtremeGeckos.com is owned by Daniel Haney of Florida who is also know as The Constrictor Zone and Dhserps here on the BOI (with a colorful history, I might add). Maybe a IP check would confirm?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #217
geckogrl6
1. Legal liability issues? WebSlave, I have some ideas on this front I may want to throw your way. However, due to concerns for my own liability, I cannot discuss in this public arena. Please contact me privately (email or PM) after I take the Bar this month. Is this site held/run by you personally, or by a corporation (and state)? There is good reason this country has things called LLCs...

2. BOI always should have been maintained as a paid only forum imo. I never saw the point in opening it up to the public in the first place. (I recall even getting a hit to a thread on BOI from a Google search- what was that about?) It is a databank of valuable information, and it is entirely appropriate to charge a nominal fee for access to the information. Perhaps we could be given a figure for what it takes to keep the BOI running for a year and really do some fund raising? Also, would it be possible to implement a per-search fee? Or add some banners explaining the costs to run the BOI and accepting donations from those who just want to lurk, or who dont want to be associated members? Perhaps this would entice some of those big guys to become anon members/donors, with access to BOI, but unable to post without their names.

3. Someone else suggested (Im sorry I dont recall who) cutting back on the # of other forums besides the basics if it would help save costs and/or time. I agree.

4. I have to agree somewhat with Seamus also about the possible reasons the "big guys" are not more active here. (Though he prob knows more than I do) And I will reiterate, you can not take any of that personally. They are running their businesses and you and other FC members are running theirs. Let it be.

5. Is there any hope for keeping the BOI running? Bottom line it for us- I'm unclear as to what's been decided here. It sounds like it will be back up until 1/1/10 when it will become avail to paid members through the following year? And after that, not at all unless what? How much $ would it take? How many paying members?

Just my .02

Old 07-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #218
R. Eventide
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckogrl6 View Post
Please contact me privately (email or PM) after I take the Bar this month.
You should probably message him yourself since he's not psychic and doesn't know when you're taking the Bar.

Quote:
3. Someone else suggested (Im sorry I dont recall who) cutting back on the # of other forums besides the basics if it would help save costs and/or time. I agree.
Uhh, given the numbers already given, cutting back on a few fora will not in any way, shape, or form put even a tiny dent in the amount needed for liability issues.

Quote:
4. I have to agree somewhat with Seamus also about the possible reasons the "big guys" are not more active here. (Though he prob knows more than I do) And I will reiterate, you can not take any of that personally. They are running their businesses and you and other FC members are running theirs. Let it be.
While I agree somewhat, that doesn't excuse the "big boys" who make comments like, "Gee, I wish someone would do something about these scammers," to the guy running a site that does just that! Forest. Trees.

Quote:
5. Is there any hope for keeping the BOI running? Bottom line it for us- I'm unclear as to what's been decided here. It sounds like it will be back up until 1/1/10 when it will become avail to paid members through the following year? And after that, not at all unless what? How much $ would it take? How many paying members?
At this point, it will shut down entirely on 1/1/10; when and if it will become paid members only is up in the air. As for the rest of these questions, I'd check out the couple of threads regarding this issue on the BOI forum itself.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #219
Lucille
Quote:
1. Legal liability issues? WebSlave, I have some ideas on this front I may want to throw your way. However, due to concerns for my own liability, I cannot discuss in this public arena. Please contact me privately (email or PM) after I take the Bar this month. Is this site held/run by you personally, or by a corporation (and state)? There is good reason this country has things called LLCs...
I think this is a nice offer, and I think many of us are offering up what we can to help out. I think the problem in the legal field is that as much as we want to think otherwise, those who have years of experience are often better equipped to deal with real life problems but any helpful suggestion or thought is I am sure accepted in the spirit it is offered and well thought out advice is always worthwhile..

Good luck on the bar exam!!!

Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #220
Uroboros
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Sheesh... I had to set up a pseudo BOI forum just to point it to this thread. Getting tons of emails from people wanting to know why they were banned or blocked from the BOI.
lol "Forum Feedback"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
As for the offer to buy this site, seriously, just based on the comment that people were willing to pitch in a few hundred dollars towards that goal plainly tells me that the only intent for buying this place would be to scuttle it.
rofl You mean the offer that Kinsnake.com made to buy back kingsnakes.com? (the only lawsuit you faced here)

Ban me again. I know the costs of running a website, you're just milking the people.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!