Cooling Geckos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
LaxGekko25
Cooling Geckos

My leopard gecko and my brother's crested gecko enclosures are just a bit too warm. My cool side of the tank (for the leo) is around 82 F but I would like it more around 78 F. I currently have a small fan over the cool side + my ceiling fan is on 100% of the time. My brother's tank is around 76 F ambient and 79-80 F (I know that it's warm for them). Our bedroom door is open all the time now, and we were wondering if any of you guys have suggestions for making cooler in there?
Thanks,
Brian and Kevin

Old 07-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
lauraleellbp
Do you have a light over the Crestie's tank? If so, they don't need any lighting at all, and generally do best with just ambient room lighting and kept just at room temperature (ideally in the 70s F).

You might try putting a damp towel over part of the top of the Crestie's tank- this can help with both the temperature (as the evaporating water will bring the temp down a few degrees) and maintain humidity.

IDK much about Leos, though- so can't help ya with that part.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
LaxGekko25
I don't have a light on the quarantine but I do have one on the naturalistic terrarium that I set up. The naturalistic is right beside the quarantine but the highest it gets in the quarantine is 80 F.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
pakinjak
82 isn't a problem at all for a leopard gecko. Infact, you should have a hot side of around 95-97 for them.

The crestie is altogether different, like Laura said, you wanna keep it 82 or less at all times, and there should always be a temperature gradient in both tanks.

I like the wet towel idea, that'll help cool them down. But again, you don't need to cool the leo tank.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
LaxGekko25
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. However, pakinjak, I have read differently about the hot spot, but I keep it around 90 F, and that's ok, right? If you think I should make it warmer please tell me.
Thanks,
B & K

Old 07-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
pakinjak
You'll read different things, but I think you'll find more people say 95 or so rather than 90 for the hot spot. Keep reading up on it and make your own decision.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
LaxGekko25
I have a UTH and a daylight that warms up the warm side that are on a day/night cyle (13 hrs of daylight + UTH, 11 hrs of nightlight, which evens that tank to about 82 F). Do you have any suggestions on making it warmer? Do I have to get it to 90 F? I've been in the herp hoppy for almost two years now, and I've never had a problem with Yankee's (my leo) health with him at approx. 90 F warm side temps.
Thanks pakinjak and lauraleellbp,
B & K

Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
pakinjak
You might not ever have any problems at 90, I'm just saying that a few degrees hotter would be better and certainly not hurt him.

What are you measuring the temp with, and where are you measuring it?

Old 07-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
LaxGekko25
My thermometer is directly on the Vita-Sand, which is my only substrate. However, his warm hide doesn't cover the whole UTH, so the thermometer is reading the temp of the UTH. Do you have any ideas about getting it warmer? I recently raised the rheostat setting to "HIGH", and it's also connected to the daylight (same rheostat), which connects to the timer.
Thanks,
B & K
P.S. We've got the cresties tank to proper temps (thanks for the damp towel idea), and the cool side of my leo is 79-80 F now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!